Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Dealing with losing and avoiding tilt

Let’s say my long term win rate is 2BB/100 and I play $2/$4.

Session 1, 500 hands, I lose $56
Session 2, 400 hands, I win $32
Session 3, 600 hands, I lose $105

Question is, how much have I won/lost and what was my win rate?

Well, the answer is actually that I won $120 at a rate of 2BB/100.

Once I realized this, I stopped worrying (so much) about short term variance and this has allowed me to play my ‘A’ game a higher proportion of the time. My ‘A’ game may not be as good as I would like, but it’s far better than how I used to play whilst keeping one eye on my session losses and tilting. I love Tiltblockers.

Mack
Old 12-10-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Dealing with losing and avoiding tilt

This is definitely something to think about, however probably not a good idea to think that 2bb/100 is always guaranteed. You do have to think about your game and make sure you are always making the correct moves for this to be correct.

Obviously short term variance shouldn't really be looked at but if you take the fact that you are a winning player for granted even when losing you may find that it can be detrimental to your play.

You find yourself trying to outplay mediocre opponents and making fancy plays when straightforward plays are correct. As long as this isn't the case then you are definitely on the road to success.

True
Old 12-10-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is definitely something to think about, however probably not a good idea to think that 2bb/100 is always guaranteed. You do have to think about your game and make sure you are always making the correct moves for this to be correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly, winning long term at x BB/100 is no guarantee of winning at x or (x+y) BB/100 in the future. The point is that if you play equally as well as usual, or hopefully better if this helps you to play your best more often, it should be a decent approximation of what you will win on average in a session of any given numbe of hands. Clearly, it's main purpoose is as a mind trick.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, just making sure that it is understood that if you think this money is guaranteed it may make you play badly a kind of "good tilt" if you will.

True

Clearly, winning long term at x BB/100 is no guarantee of winning at x or (x+y) BB/100 in the future. The point is that if you play equally as well as usual, or hopefully better if this helps you to play your best more often, it should be a decent approximation of what you will win on average in a session of any given numbe of hands. Clearly, it's main purpoose is as a mind trick.

[/ QUOTE ]