Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 07:01 PM

Default Burned with AK. Should i have played this differently.

:THIS IS NOT A BAD BEAT POST:

here a hand i think i misplayed. Granted, i kinda have a feeling that matter what i did i was going down but i asking if my play was right (don't think it was)

10 players down to 6. Blinds 50/100. I have about 1700.

Raise to 300 in early postion with AK. Folded to BB (a player i wasn't that famalier with but i had seen him call to the river with middle pair several times)
Flop KQ6 rainbow.
BB suprising fires out quick bet of $500. I call
Turn 9 (no flush draw)
BB bets bets out $500 again. I called.
River J
BB moves in. I feel beaten but pot committed against a possible bluff. Call off my last $400. BB shows QT

My question here is should have raised all in on the flop. If i got called i still would have lost but i'm thinking this would have been the correct play. When he fired out big flop bet i put him on KJ possibly QJ. I was trying to milk him. (to be honest though i think i did lost track of my stack size during the hand. I thought i would have had more $$ at the river to push with)

Like i said i probably would have lost regardless but i want to know what the correct play is here. Should i have pushed on the flop given my stack size or was i right to try to milk him. I didn't figure him to very strong until the river.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Burned with AK. Should i have played this differently.

at some point you should have put the raise in. Maybe not on the flop because at that point you pretty well have a monster and there are only three draws (other than pairing a kicker)left, A10, AJ, and J10. The A draws are stuck with 4 outs and the J10 has 8. The flop bet does not give him odds to make these draws. The turn bet of 500 into 1650 is slightly short but close to correct considering implied odds on the river. I would push the rest of the stack in on the turn and then be angry when he calls. If you push on the flop you are probably only going to get the 500 bet.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:37 PM

I probably would have pushed on the flop, it is the last time you'll have enough chips to really have a good Fold Equity from villian. He'd have called the turn with those chip sizes, and very well could have called the flop as well even if you had pushed.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would push the rest of the stack in on the turn and then be angry when he calls. .

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding with this one, especially after the rest of your post... right?
Old 08-22-2005, 07:47 PM

You didn't say how many places paid- I might have limped with AK and then powered the flop.

You have to either go all-in on the flop or dump the hand. Calling to cripple your stack makes no sense.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I call

I called.

Call

[/ QUOTE ]

I edited out the unimportant parts. I think the error of your ways may be somewhere in the parts that remain.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:39 AM

I would definately have pushed on the flop, the pot is already big enough to make it worth it. If you get called and sucked out on at least you know you played the hand right.

The way you played it was extremely weak, there is no way that villain put you on AK, that's why he kept betting. TPTK is by no means a monster that should be slow played.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:41 PM

Pre-flop raise was fine. You have to push on the flop. If you are up against a set, so be it.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I call

I called.

Call

[/ QUOTE ]

I edited out the unimportant parts. I think the error of your ways may be somewhere in the parts that remain.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a simple, yet overlooked point. At no point in this hand did you know where you stood. Why call on the flop, when you can raise? If you are up against a set, those are the breaks, but you should def. raise.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:28 PM

I push this routinely on the flop against an unknown, I don't rope-a-dope with less than a flopped set. Most people don't bet hands that beat you quickly and strongly, you are ahead. You have commited yourself to the hand with a flop call.