Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Passive line against LAG.

[ QUOTE ]
Ok so you raise, he calls, you?

[/ QUOTE ]

What's he do on the turn? That's the important part now.

If he fires again on the turn, I'm gone. If he checks, I bet 3/4 of the pot.

But to be honest, unless he goes to showdown a lot, I don't think he's going to just call here. He's going to fold or raise. If he has less than 2 pair, he's folding - that straight is just too frightening. If he has 2 pair or bigger, he's raising, and probably pushing.

I think the most important thing to consider is what he's 3-betting PF with. If he was a solid player he'd have JJ+ or AK. You'd be splitting at best and most likely crushed. Even giving him a very wide range of 99+ or any two broadway cards (which is more likely), you're in pretty deep fertilizer. 90% of this beats you.

Edit: I just Poker Stoved this. You're actually a coinflip with this range. But you're still very vulnerable.

The main purpose of the raise on the flop is to snap off his c/b with a small pocket pair. Which is why it's somewhat of a toss-up decission - it all depends on how likely he is to fold with a hand other than the straight.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:18 PM

There's not enough information here to talk about postflop. 44/18/5 is nowhere near good enough a read to take a calldown strategy on a board like this with TPTK. If you knew he would fire on all streets as a bluff (or semibluff with a QT/KT/TT type hand or spades), this might be a viable strategy. If you don't know, you need to show some aggression and figure out where you are.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok so you raise, he calls, you?

[/ QUOTE ]

What's he do on the turn? That's the important part now.

If he fires again on the turn, I'm gone. If he checks, I bet 3/4 of the pot.

But to be honest, unless he goes to showdown a lot, I don't think he's going to just call here. He's going to fold or raise. If he has less than 2 pair, he's folding - that straight is just too frightening. If he has 2 pair or bigger, he's raising, and probably pushing.

I think the most important thing to consider is what he's 3-betting PF with. If he was a solid player he'd have JJ+ or AK. You'd be splitting at best and most likely crushed. Even giving him a very wide range of 99+ or any two broadway cards (which is more likely), you're in pretty deep fertilizer. 90% of this beats you.

Edit: I just Poker Stoved this. You're actually a coinflip with this range. But you're still very vulnerable.

The main purpose of the raise on the flop is to snap off his c/b with a small pocket pair. Which is why it's somewhat of a toss-up decission - it all depends on how likely he is to fold with a hand other than the straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm OOP..
Old 11-10-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's not enough information here to talk about postflop. 44/18/5 is nowhere near good enough a read to take a calldown strategy on a board like this with TPTK. If you knew he would fire on all streets as a bluff (or semibluff with a QT/KT/TT type hand or spades), this might be a viable strategy. If you don't know, you need to show some aggression and figure out where you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Show aggression? We can't even assume hes looser and more aggressive than most? How many hands before we can?

Anyhow I hate raising the flop because he will call with a ton of hands, some of which are drawing very live, some of which have me dominated, I think building the pot OOP here is just plain bad.

He'll call 9 times out of 10 on the flop and bet the turn when we check which leaves us folding most turns.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm OOP..

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn...so you are [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. Wish you could still see the original post when replying to follow-up posts lol.

Ok then, he calls. With a 5.0 AF (an barring any other notes or reads) he's raising with 2-pair or better, so I'm going to guess this indicates a flush draw or something like QT. So I bet/fold here. Block the river when the flush hits.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Show aggression? We can't even assume hes looser and more aggressive than most? How many hands before we can?

Anyhow I hate raising the flop because he will call with a ton of hands, some of which are drawing very live, some of which have me dominated, I think building the pot OOP here is just plain bad.

He'll call 9 times out of 10 on the flop and bet the turn when we check which leaves us folding most turns.

[/ QUOTE ]

So check/call flop and lead turn. IMO, reads based on PT numbers are almost completely useless past the flop.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So check/call flop and lead turn. IMO, reads based on PT numbers are almost completely useless past the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line followed by a fold to raise and checkfold that river. I think PT numbers are very valuable if you use PA HUD. Seeing that a villain raised 25/40 flops that he's seen for instance is enough for me to assume he bets when checked to. Also, seeing a much lower turn number 8/30 tells me he slows down when his flop bets are called w/o a hand.