Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 11:20 AM

Default too weak?

Here's a hand from yesterday's part 500k guaranteed. Should I have pushed this turn?

I have ~1500, villain ~1000, blinds are 25/50, no reads on villain.

folds, villian limps in MP, I raise to 200 with JJ, folds, only villain calls.

Flop (t475) 567 rainbow. Villian checks, I bet 250, villain calls.

Turn (t975) 3, still rainbow. villian checks, I check....

River(t975) K, villain pushes, I fold.

What do you think??
Old 08-15-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: too weak?

the turn play was pretty bad but i think the play on the flop was worse. the only thing that a $250 bet does is give villain the proper odds to call. If he has four to the straight with an overcard (ie. A8) this would be an automatic call. Although it is unlikely that villain would call the preflop raise with A8, I think we have all seen players call in this situation with a lot less. Betting $600 on the flop does two things. It more than likely prices him out of a call and secondly if he calls then you know you are most likely facing a pretty big hand (possibly a higher pocket pair or a set.) Either way in my humble opinion it's a better way to play the hand.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: too weak?

Your flop bet was your fatal mistake. With $475 in the pot and potential draws on the board, you should have fired in the neighborhood of $500. This puts him to a decision for all of his chips, and of course, if he moves all-in you would have to call because of the pot odds (he had approx. $800 left). You see how the bigger bet forces your opponent to make a decision right then and there and prevents you from being bluffed out of the pot on a later street. In general, you should always be looking to make plays which leave your opponents, and not you the difficult decisions.