Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 10:53 AM

Default playing low cards against a loose table, when raised big preflop

The other day I played in a very loose/weak 1-2 nl game. I was dealt 4 7 spades in the big blind on a full table. First 3 players limp, 4th raises to 10, 2 callers, button raises to 20, sb calls. Its to me, and I had a strong feeling that I should play my hand. This is because there was a lott of money in the pot, most of the opposition probably had hi cards, I had a large stack, and if i hit the implied odds were huge cuz the table was so weak. Also, I had a read that the other players with large chipstacks would not re-raise. Moreover, throwing this money in there would add to the loose image i had, giving me more action later. Still, I opted to fold. 1 limper calls, the original raiser called, the first caller reraises to 30 all in, button makes it 41 all in. After all the action, 5 players were in a pot of maybe $250. Turns out, I would've hit a flush and str8 draw on the flop, and hit the flush on the river. The hands shown included two big slicks, a q j, and pocket 9's. What do you guys think about a play like this given such a loose table?
Old 07-13-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Re: playing low cards against a loose table, when raised big preflop

repost in ssnl...
Old 07-13-2005, 01:02 PM

Toss it...The number of times you'll miss the flop combined with the number of times your flush or striaght gets beat makes this a losing play.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:11 PM

Yeah I've been stacked a couple times by a better flush here and learned my lesson.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The hands shown included two big slicks, a q j, and pocket 9's. What do you guys think about a play like this given such a loose table?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think your implied odds are that great enough given these hands in play. If the opponents had AA, KK then yeah you can stack them if u hit a nice flop, but with those hands, if the flop comes 5/6/3 or something beautiful (which is probably 1/100 shot anyway) whos gonna pay you off? All the overcards missed, and the pocket 99's has to be a bit weary of overpairs, so at best your winning a modest pot.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:53 PM

"but with those hands, if the flop comes 5/6/3 or something beautiful (which is probably 1/100 shot anyway)"
- One consideration I had is that with so many people throwing in a lot of chips, i believe that my chances of hitting are much greater. This is because they probably have many of each others outs, and probably all of the cards that help me r still in the deck (with exception of my spades which is uncertain). This is because most of the high cards were probably dealt out, which caused soo much pre-flop action.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"but with those hands, if the flop comes 5/6/3 or something beautiful (which is probably 1/100 shot anyway)"
- One consideration I had is that with so many people throwing in a lot of chips, i believe that my chances of hitting are much greater. This is because they probably have many of each others outs, and probably all of the cards that help me r still in the deck (with exception of my spades which is uncertain). This is because most of the high cards were probably dealt out, which caused soo much pre-flop action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Laugh brilliant. What if the hands are KK QQ and AA....how are you planning on winning? Seriously, this hand is horrible, if you think it's worth playing because "everyone else must have high cards" then you need to seriously rethink your strategy and consider playing .01/.02 until you learn how to play.