Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2004, 10:01 PM

Default Re: Internet Texas Hold\'em: Poker Concepts II (pg 51-72)

[ QUOTE ]
This is certainly what I believe needs to be done. For example, in the example that I gave if you would have written something like "What follows is an example similar to what appears in HPFAP..." I would have no complaint.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would require reading every book, magazine article, and web site ever written, and possibly even every forum post of every forum, to find out if something you wrote is similar to something someone else wrote - which is obviously unrealistic.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:19 PM

Default Re: i guess we were kidding ourselves

We have been discussing his book for a while now. Your very welcome to join us...
http://www.internettexasholdem.com/~...wforum.php?f=7

I have found the atmosphere to be very friendly and helpful.
Check
Old 10-26-2004, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All the higher rated books seem not to be limit books. Maybe this was the highest rated non-2+2 book on limit poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Roy Cooke II got a 9 and that book is strictly on limit hold 'em.

MM
Old 10-27-2004, 07:28 AM

Default Re: i guess we were kidding ourselves

Thank you.
Had a good laugh over the wallet sized charts.
I will be reading the rest tonight.

Luckydog
Old 10-28-2004, 04:41 AM

I don't see the point in discussing Matt's book on a site which seems to be more about confrontation than information. Matt has already said that he did not plagarize Mr. Malmuths books. I have not seen any " direct quotes " listed in this thread to lead me to believe he did. Quite frankly ... I will continue to use Matt's AND Mr. Sklansky/Mr. Malmuths books as reference and aid to my becoming a better Holdem'/Poker player. There is room for many authors on the subject, of which I am sure that AA with be considered the BEST starting hand and 72o will be the WORST. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Wonder how much money Matt has made on ITH ?? I think he has sold a bunch !! NUFF SAID !! See ya at the ITH Forum . [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2004, 05:25 AM

Thank you for trying to get ITH discussed on this Forum. As a newbie to Texas Holdem', I had hoped to gain some additional insight by reading others opinions about the content and strategies contained in Matthew Hilgers book.
Ironically I learned of this from the ITH Forum itself. Now it seems I had best return there for a discussion. This thread has taken a detour to unfriendly and uncharted territory.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am sure that AA with be considered the BEST starting hand and 72o will be the WORST. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm...care to reference that, Zee? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Seriously though, I don't know how much more can be said about 'deceptive tactics' and 'raising/check raising' so that could be the reason no one is posting on content at the moment. If you have a question/observatin on the pages in discussion...speak up.

Now, the starting hand section is next...I have some observations on that...but it's not time yet.

---Leavenfish
Old 10-28-2004, 10:14 AM

It may or not be interesting. I am using ITH's Starting hands chart and I must say it has helped with my overall play. In "Internet Poker - How to Play and Beat Online Poker Games" by Lou Krieger and Kathleen Keller Watterson, it is stated on pg. 53 " Play few hands from early position. You'll throw some hands away, but you'll save money." ... I use that strategy if I am short stacked now. The rest of the time, I am using ITH's chart. My percent Preflop has went up, but at least it's not checking BB position and wasting valuable time, when I could be watching the play of the others at the table. ... Maybe I will stick with this discussion a little bit longer. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2004, 01:13 PM

Zee,
Not to start to stray off the topic but when (I say when, because if you are smart, you will) you pick up SSH, compare the starting hands to ITH (to be discussed shortly, I hope). You will see considerable difference in places.
I followed ITH's charts when I first started. Once you progress to a certain point...those charts are still fine (if a bit loose/weak in places); but you may want to switch over to SSH's entirely. They are, I believe, more accurate if your play has progressed and you feel comfortable with throwing money around a bit.

---Leavenfish
Old 10-30-2004, 05:46 AM

Mason,

I support your position completely. As you and some of the others know, I spent some time in academia, and my values were shaped there. Professors make a big point of crediting others, even if they simply suggested a line of thinking. When the similarity is as great as it is in this example, NO professor would fail to give credit to the prior work, and we would criticize a student who did not do so.

At 2+2 we regard acknowledging other authors’ words and ideas very seriously. For example, Gary Carson has been extremely unpleasant to us. In “Small stakes hold’em” there are footnotes on pages 57 & 58, giving him credit for some of his work. The fact that we dislike him does not release us from our obligation to acknowledge his book. I must add that Gary borrowed his types of players from my book, but did not acknowledge doing so.

Regards,

Al