Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 10:20 PM

Default Have Ah Th , called a raise, flopped an ace

Now what..?? This is one of those twixt and tween hands that I simply do not fathom how to play properly. Too good to toss cheaply, but not good enough to get real frisky..

Party $600NL

Hero is SB with $331
Villian is 2 off the button with $161

Folded to villian who raises to $12. (sort of min raise I guess)

Dealer calls, hero calls with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero checks, villian bets $22, folded to hero who makes a mistake I think.

What to do... calling is so lame, and if villian is semibluffing the diamond draw with K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or something, calling is even more lame.

Folding seems entirely too weak tight, but perhaps it is not. I hate to fold to KK QQ JJ even 10 10. But I also hate to pay off AK Aj et al because I got too carried away with my ace 10.

Hero check raises to $44. In retrospect, I think I should have raised $ to $70 or so, and made him push or fold.

Turn is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero checks, villian checks.

River is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Hero checks, villian pushes $105 and is all in...

Sheesh... when will I ever learn to play this game.

Hero ponders for a moment and folds.. There seemed to be no good move here. I am probably beat and tossing in a hundred more seems a waste, but folding seems to be way WEAK.

Thoughts?

I know, I know, you can't wait for me to join your table..

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2005, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Have Ah Th , called a raise, flopped an ace

I like a reraise preflop to $30 or 35.

if you flop the T, you will not always have top pair.

if you flop the A, you are worried about kicker.

villain isn't deep enough for you to play with draw prospects.

I want to take it down now and also find out and perhaps alter villain's preflop minraise range. I like a raise here.

if I flop an ace, a bet from me will be very strong and I might very well fold out AJ, AQ. and I'm first to act.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:07 PM

it's a little difficult to offer an opinion without some read on the villan but i think Amoeba is right you need to get some more money pre flop. Once the flop hits the way it did ..you can't check this one because you get NO read on his hand with a check....you need to fire a big raise at the pot.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:14 PM

I think stacks are too short to worry about your kicker. Bet out on the flop or checkraise more, and don't feel too bad about getting all-in.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:20 AM

wrong forum
Old 07-14-2005, 08:20 AM

Villains stack is about 25 BB, there is no way you can play thinking poker with that, it all comes down to guessing if you don't have a clear opinion on the man.

When you call a raise from a typical lowstacker with AT and hit, you have accepted to get it all in the middle unless there are clear signs that you are beat. Lowstackers are lowstacked because they just move in with aynthing if they feel any chance to take it down or they want to get called whenever they hit and OP has any decent hand. A kind of: "Who is best guessing a hand having no information"

Your play is fine until river, if you want to play for those 25BB. On river it's an easy call. He can have a full, any pair and any A and probably a wide range of other hands like flush and str8 draws.

If you don't want to play this hand for 25 BB, fold on flop, (actually fold preflop), you will never get any usefull information later. If you raise big, you are committed. If you minraise, you just put some more money in without getting any information, since if he flat calls your min raise... well you posted right? And you give him odds to move in with a draw if he likes that, so an all-in from him doesn't help you. If you just call his bet, you get same problem on turn.

Why are you playing with only 50 BB on the table?
Old 07-14-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villains stack is about 25 BB, there is no way you can play thinking poker with that

[/ QUOTE ]
I find it sickening how many people pay off these short stacks who buy in for 20BB and win a hand, leave and come back with 20BB.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Villains stack is about 25 BB, there is no way you can play thinking poker with that

[/ QUOTE ]
I find it sickening how many people pay off these short stacks who buy in for 20BB and win a hand, leave and come back with 20BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wrote pstars support an email about making min buy in 40bb... about how 20bb is redic. and all that. they wrote back a cursory email, but if perhaps 2+2ers could follow this lead and send a few letters they may change their mind.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:14 PM

OK, more good advice, thanks a lot.

Bobby, why wrong forum?

I guess I am playing somewhat weak tight. I am new to this limit, and I suppose it is a bit more intimidating tossing around hundreds of $ vs tens of $. I don't have a cash problem, just not used to it, and I haven't won anything at this level yet.

I am noticing that one needs to be willing to put chips in, since there are more players who will try moves on you at this level.

BTW, I didn't have any read on villian in as much as I had only sat for a couple dozen hands.

Thanks again

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bobby, why wrong forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Hero is SB with $331
Villian is 2 off the button with $161

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont mind much either way, I try to post alot on SSNL too, but there have been a bevy of posts trying to "clean up" m/h nl, so this belongs below.