Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 02:41 AM

Default AJo, Early Position Question

I have been thinking about this for a while, and am having trouble reaching a definite conclusion. You have AJo in first position in a tight game. Do you raise or call? I have seen many different charts and websites and such that suggest to call in a tight game and raise in a loose game. Why would this be the most profitable play? In a loose game, there is likely to be three or four people in the pot regardless of whether you raise or not, diminishing your chances of winning the pot. On the other hand, in a tight game, you will likely play the hand heads-up, where a hand like AJo does really well.

I do usually raise in AJo in both tight and loose games, but I just have to wonder why it is BETTER to raise with it in a loose game than in a tight game. Explanations?
Old 07-20-2005, 02:49 AM

Default Re: AJo, Early Position Question

I'll mostly fold this one in early position.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:11 AM

Because if you raise in a loose game, you're more likely to get called by hands worse than your own. If you raise in a tight game, the calls will be hands that are more likely to have you dominated.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:18 AM

Only hands that dont suck in early position are AA KK AK.. QQ is marginal.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:51 AM

That on the other hand is a bit too tight for my taste, but as said AJo is in my book a no go from early position, most of the time.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Only hands that dont suck in early position are AA KK AK.. QQ is marginal.

[/ QUOTE ]

QQ is hardly marinal even UTG in just about every limit holdem game you could ever find.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:43 AM

This is a borderline situation just like AQ and AQs in a middle seat with a bet and a raise ahead of you.

I'd consider a mix. For tight tables X calls and Y raises in percent. For loose tables same idea, different numbers.

How about:

For tight tables:

75% raise, 25% calls

For loose tables:

25% raises, 75% calls

Comments?
Old 07-20-2005, 12:12 PM

Obviously AJo is not a monster. My question is that if it worth raising in a loose game from under the gun, why is it not worth raising in a tight game from under the gun. I put the variables in Pokerstove, and this is what I found. Against one semi-tight caller, you are about a 55-45 underdog with AJo (AA-TT, AKs-ATs,KQs-KJs, QJs, AKo-AJo, KQ). On the other hand, against five callers, one with the same semi-tight requirements, one with slightly looser requirements, and two random hands, you have the highest equity, but only by 3-4 percent. Also, against the whole field you are about a 75-25 underdog. Even though you have the highest equity in the field, you are still more likely to lose the hand with five people in than when you are against one tight player.

Against five people, and a pot equity of 25%, you do have a pot equity edge in a loose game (albiet a very small one). But lets assume that on the flop, everybody fold except for the tight player. Then your won't it be true that your pot equity would dip below 50%?

These pot equity concepts have had me a little confused since I read SSHE, especially after the flop. Any explanation would be much appreciated.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:21 PM

Fold.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:33 PM

JDK is right:
Because if you raise in a loose game, you're more likely to get called by hands worse than your own. If you raise in a tight game, the calls will be hands that are more likely to have you dominated.

You want to avoid the potential for being dominated. When you hit, you will win small pots, lose big ones and fold winning hands in a tight game. In a loose game you will find it harder to drive out several opponents with top pair from early position. As a result, you want to narrow the field preflop.

Is this no-limit or limit