Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 12:41 PM

Default Re: AJo, Early Position Question

[ QUOTE ]
But lets assume that on the flop, everybody fold except for the tight player.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a strange assumption to make. A tight player staying on the flop indicates that he did hit something, while loose players will often stay in the hand with poor and mediocre hands. It's more likely that the loose players will stay than the tight players. But anyway...

[ QUOTE ]
Even though you have the highest equity in the field, you are still more likely to lose the hand with five people in than when you are against one tight player.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is irrelevent. You want to win the most money, not the most pots. Take your example:

Against one opponent, you're going to win 45% of the time, and against 5 opponents, you will win only 25% (This isn't exactly true for a variety of reasons, but just hear me out, I'm going to try to make a point), but that doesn't mean the first situation is better.

Your equity in the first example would be 45% of the 4 bet pot, or 1.8 bets. In the second example, your equity would be 25% of a 12 bet pot, or 3 bets.

As you can see, even though you'll win more often heads up in your example, you will win more money in the second senario.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:21 PM

Heres the toughest thing about AJ. Its very likely that you have the best hand at a table with it, especially short handed. But if you do raise, your never going to get AK,AQ to fold. However, you will get A8,A9 A4 to fold, hands that ur already dominating. AJ shouldnt ever be raised in a very loose game because in a very loose game you cannot place any value on a high pair hand, suited connectors will take most of the pots because the hands that will win will be closer to the nuts at a losoe table. On a tight table, its nrealy not even playable because if you raise, and are reraised u should fold and if you dont raise ur letting a8 and lower limp in to possibly 2 pair you. Aj is just a trouble hand.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AJ shouldnt ever be raised in a very loose game because in a very loose game you cannot place any value on a high pair hand, suited connectors will take most of the pots because the hands that will win will be closer to the nuts at a losoe table.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just flat out wrong.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Only hands that dont suck in early position are AA KK AK.. QQ is marginal.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
AJ shouldnt ever be raised in a very loose game because in a very loose game you cannot place any value on a high pair hand, suited connectors will take most of the pots because the hands that will win will be closer to the nuts at a losoe table. On a tight table, its nrealy not even playable because if you raise, and are reraised u should fold and if you dont raise ur letting a8 and lower limp in to possibly 2 pair you. Aj is just a trouble hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

A little piece of me just died inside.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:11 PM

Yes this is becoming one of those great threads.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have AJo in first position in a tight game. Do you raise or call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your question is easily answered with another question.

What is the likely strength of any hand that is good enough to call, overcall, or worse yet, fire back at you?
Old 07-21-2005, 01:40 AM

I never raise with AJo UTG but i always call with it. The AJo want many to call for one bet, most likely KJ, QJ and JT. Many calls with these hands on the button, even shorthanded but never to a raise. AJo doesnt loose value with many callers it get more money from all callers in the pot, because of the dead money(from SSHE). I think playing JTs is a more troublesome UTG if not in a loose game.