Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Re: My girlfriend wants me to stop playing!

I'd look for another girlfiend.

She probably has moral objections to gambling as a source of income, but she would probably be okay with a weekly live game with your friends. I don't think you are going to be happy with her.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So tonite my girlfriend decided to tell me that she thinks I need to play (a lot) less poker. I admit, she is correct; sometimes I am less attentive to her than I should be, etc, etc...

I am a senior in college. Currently I play 15-20 hrs/week. So she says "lets determine how many hours you should play per week..." I'm thinking, "ok, she'll say like 10ish".

"Adam, I want you to play 3 hours/week or less!"

Well geez, didn't expect that one. So, of course I have no doubt that I can do that, but I explain to her that this is my job. This is how I buy us dinner and movies. I explain how I am playing well within my limits, that I never risk any sizeable portion of my money.

Now, of course I'll choose her over poker any day of the week, and if it comes down to that, let there be no doubt. I just can't get across to her the idea that it is simply a part time job. I have no intention of letting it become my life or livelihood.

Basically, I am willing to play less (or none at all), but I'd like to hear y'alls feedback on this topic. Surely there are people out there with some girlfriend experience...

[/ QUOTE ]

I would call, but fold on the turn if she bets out again or raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling is a mistake here, because it will signal to her that he's on a draw, when it would be better if she thought he might already have made the hand. I think a reraise is in order...frankly, I don't think this hand can be won if he doesn't bet, because a call here will definitely cause a raise from her on the turn.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:25 PM

OP in 5 years
Old 11-15-2005, 04:26 PM

You could also try for a back door draw
Old 11-15-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP in 5 years

[/ QUOTE ]

You, sir, are a seer! Please PM me this week's Powerball numbers ASAP!
Old 11-15-2005, 04:31 PM

They key is finding out what is behind the request.
My wife had a similiar problem with my playing and I made an effort to play a) when she wasn't home or b) after she went to bed or c) before she woke up on weekends.
As she doesn't understand poker that much, she thinks of it more as gambling than I do. I made the following deal with her.
I was only allowed to make deposits if she knew about it and gave her okay. This would prevent "family" money being gambled with.
In return she was not allowed to be bothered by spefic losses, if I lost $100 one day she couldn't say that money could have been used for groceries etc, as it was "won" money anyway. I told her I wouldn't lie to her as far as if I was up or down and by how much, so if she didn't want to deal with the swings, then not to ask me how much I was up. She now asks me just if I am up or down, and not how much. I have never asked to make another deposit so far, and I have made several withdrqawals that have gone towards family expenses.

Point is, find out what bothers her. If its taking time away from her, or money away from both of you, then she is right to ask you. If it is just poker that is bothering her, then she has her own issues to deal with and you shouldn't stop playing because she can't deal with them... you should however help her.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:37 PM

Dump this controlling bitch immediately.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You need to figure out two things.

1) What is behind the request? Is she afraid you're going to become a gambling addict or is it truly just a matter of her wanting you to spend more time with her? If it's the latter, that's a perfectly reasonable thing to complain about and you should look at ways to spend more time and more high quality time with her. If it's the former then chances are you're always going to have issues.

2) Which is more important, her or poker? I am not remotely going to suggest you dump her for poker but if you're planning on poker as a career, or even as a part time job while you finish college and over the summers, there is a radical lifestyle change to move to a "normal" job.

And finally, some folks are saying there is always another girl. There isn't. Most women suck in all the wrong ways and if she's right and you screw it up you may spend the next twenty years not finding someone worth your time. Only you can make that assessment.

[/ QUOTE ]

She's not right.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:41 PM

i am sure he is a great girl, but I would be raelly careful. For someone to try and dictate what you do for how much time is absurd. I wouldn't take that from my wife, but that is just me.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And finally, some folks are saying there is always another girl. There isn't. Most women suck in all the wrong ways and if she's right and you screw it up you may spend the next twenty years not finding someone worth your time.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't true, it only seems this way.