Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Hand against a maniac

Blinds 0.50/$1

Villian in this hand is 75/15 so very loose. A few hands before he called my preflop raise, check called my continuation bet and led the turn, moving me off Ak, he showed 63o

Villian calls UTG, Misc calls, Hero in SB raises to $5 with JJ, villain call, misc folds

Flop ($12)

T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero leads for $9, Villian min raises to $18, hero calls (?)

Turn ($48)

8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero checks (?), Villian bets $25, Hero CR to $70 (?), Villian calls

River ($168)

7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero bets $50 (?), Villan pushes, Hero has $100 to call (?)

Comments where appropriate.

I'll post results and my thoughts later
Old 10-29-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Hand against a maniac

I think I'd make a crying call. I'd be very unhappy about that river. Sometimes I do this too much though, it's a hole in my game that I'm working on.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:32 PM

I think everything is fine up until the turn. I just call his bet here. Think about it:

a) this is good for pot control
b) it allows him to potentially bluff again on the river
c) raising here only gets him to fold worse hands and never better b/c a maniac will look at any hand better than JJ as the nuts.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think everything is fine up until the turn. I just call his bet here. Think about it:

a) this is good for pot control
b) it allows him to potentially bluff again on the river
c) raising here only gets him to fold worse hands and never better b/c a maniac will look at any hand better than JJ as the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah good point. I think the turn CR comes from the fact I have problems playing these type of players so I try to end big hands early. Like you say though the CR has no real vaule. Nice post
Old 10-29-2005, 05:48 PM

I'm curious as to your turn reraise. From what you're telling me, he calls/raises with everything, so what makes you think the almost minraise is going to push him off this hand?
You don't have a terribly strong hand given that the villian will play any two. Considering you've apparently decided on the turn that you're seeing the hand out, with a hand like JJ I'd think you'd want to get to the river as cheaply as possible. He's shown he doesn't like to lay things down. I would have check/called the turn and depending on the size of his bet check/calling the river.

Then again, my game is just like my name...leaky. So take this with a grain of salt.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:05 PM

Ok, it seems the major mistake in the hand is check raising the turn. Clearly with a strong but not unbeatable hand and an unpredicatable villian pot control was the key. I actually folded the river. After that bet I couldn't see one single hand that could raise there that I was ahead of. A bluff seemed simply insane given the commitment I'd shown to the hand. However the villian showed 44 which blew me away. Needless to say he has a note now.