Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2005, 06:20 PM

Default NL vs Pot Limit

I play with a group that usually plays hold'em single table tourneys. Now they are experimenting with Omaha (for high). But they play it no-Limit. I notice that Omaha seems to be played pot-limit instead of no-limit. For instance, there is no WSOP event with no-limit Omaha, only pot-limit Omaha.

I've never played Omaha except in low-level, limit home games. So I don't have any opinion about pot-limit vs no-limit.

Is there a reason why Omaha is played pot-limit instead of no-limit. Should we be playing pot-limit or is it just a matter of preference and convenience (nobody wanting to have the hassle of keep precise count of the pot)?
Old 09-10-2005, 08:08 PM

Default Re: NL vs Pot Limit

[ QUOTE ]
I play with a group that usually plays hold'em single table tourneys. Now they are experimenting with Omaha (for high). But they play it no-Limit. I notice that Omaha seems to be played pot-limit instead of no-limit. For instance, there is no WSOP event with no-limit Omaha, only pot-limit Omaha.

I've never played Omaha except in low-level, limit home games. So I don't have any opinion about pot-limit vs no-limit.

Is there a reason why Omaha is played pot-limit instead of no-limit. Should we be playing pot-limit or is it just a matter of preference and convenience (nobody wanting to have the hassle of keep precise count of the pot)?

[/ QUOTE ]

No-limit=too easy to shut out draws

Pot-limit=not so
Old 09-10-2005, 08:13 PM

PLO is a pot building game. Preflop, no hand is a huge favorite, and post flop hand values can change wildly from the flop to the turn. The difference between PLO and NLO is like the difference between excellent sushi and a tuna fish sandwhich.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PLO is a pot building game. Preflop, no hand is a huge favorite, and post flop hand values can change wildly from the flop to the turn. The difference between PLO and NLO is like the difference between excellent sushi and a poo sandwich

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-10-2005, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No-limit=too easy to shut out draws

Pot-limit=not so

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the same reason limit Omaha high is so rare, in reverse--it usually makes sense for draws to hang on for much longer than they would for PL. Limit Omaha tournaments are occasionally spread, but not often; the WSOP dropped its Limit Omaha event a couple of years ago.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:16 PM

Default Limit vs Pot Limit

I probably should start my own thread, but I seek as much knowledge as can be spared about the differences in play between limit and pot-limit Omaha. Any of: peronsal thoughts and theory, examples of hands that wopuld play out differently, or links to other material on this subject - would all be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Limit vs Pot Limit

See Ciaffone's Omaha Hold em poker

1000th post! w00t!!11