Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 04:49 PM

Default SNG Books - Are the HOH books the best books available?

Hi,

Looking to invest a bit of cash in to a couple of decent books dealing with HE tournament play and have been recommended these two by many people. Are there any other options that run close or is it a bit of a no brainer to get the HOH pair?

cheers
Old 08-17-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Re: SNG Books - Are the HOH books the best books available?

I think specifically the second book is by far the best for SNGs. The first is good as well but applies more to tournaments where the blinds move up more slowly.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:48 PM

There was some rumor of a TJ Cloutier/Championship Series book on final table play. Not sure whether it came out though. Given that the book is about single table and short table play, I'd expect it to be applicable to a large degree.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:42 PM

Realize that HoH, Vol 1, had RAVE reviews from readers here on 2+2. Concerning NL HE it was THE book, to that point in time. It's been so popular, that even though 2+2 printed many more copies of it originally, they are now awaiting the second printing. This says GREAT BOOK...

Now it seems as though HoH, Vol 2, is even better than Vol 1. That's an amazing thing! I just bought mine yesterday, and I agree it's totally wonderful.

The pair of books for $40 would be a super investment in NL HE play, not to mention that tournament play would be thrown in for nothing. I don't know how to give a stronger endorsement!

Dave

PS: I now own 13 of the 2+2 books, and 19 other poker books (some only at the margins, of course).
Old 08-19-2005, 12:42 AM

Not sure if you mean to say that you are reading the second book for ring games or not. It's pretty much worthless for that. The reason is that the second book deals specifically with tournament situations where the blinds are getting very large relative to the stacks. The way players adjust to this in tournaments and the best strategy for this situation is not anywhere near the same as for NL cash games.

In short the first is good for NL cash games and the early stages of tournaments the second is excellent for the late stages of tournaments and SNGs but not much more relevant to NLHE cash games than Ray Zee's high low stud and O8 limit book.