Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Checkraise this river?

3 handed with SamEnole and villain from last night (who has slowed down considerably).

7 Card Stud High-Low ($30/$60), Ante $5, Bring-In $10 (hand converter)

3rd Street

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls

4th Street

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

River

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___calls

I like check/calling the river more than betting but would a c/r be better?
It seems like a 30/60 player would be capable of folding 9s full to a checkraise and would probably check behind with just trip 9s.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Checkraise this river?

You play about 6 times higher then me so take this with a game of salt.

I could never see a player folding 9's full to a river check raise after he has called all the way down since you paird your door card. He obviously doesnt believe you have trip tens.

Also, going for a check raise here opens you up to a 3 bet if he is infact full. I would lead the river and call a raise here everytime.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:45 PM

Noone is folding a full house here man. I like the way you played it, in terms of the river. If you are going to checkraise, how about 6th?
Old 05-14-2005, 03:35 AM

Against all but the most passive players (whom you rarely find at this limit), I would check raise 6th pretty much every time. It is pretty obvious that he has trip 9s and that he is hoping you just a 2 big pair when he calls on 5th, so this should work. The problem with check raising on the river is that he might think that you are just checking through unimproved trip Ts, and check behind, but I still think it will work about 80% of the time (plus you don't really have to worry too much about getting 3 Bet by 9s full, since they will be scared of you having Ts full).

-Carlos
Old 05-14-2005, 09:52 AM

Well Im thinking there is a good possibility the guy has a flush draw and two paired on the river. So. a check raise ON 6TH will likely cost you be his folding if you check raise on a small card.

OF COURSE THERE AREN'T MANY PLAYERS THAT WILL CHECK RAISE AS A SEMI BLUFF ON AN EXPENSIVE STREET. SO THIS TYPE OF INVERTED REVERSAL WILL LIKELY MAKE HIM FOLD MOST HANDS YOU CAN BEAT WITHOUT IMPROVMENT.

I say just keep betting as he thinks you are betting thin and his secondary outs can win if he hits once.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:27 PM

I can't really understand you post, timmer...can you explain what you mean? Also, I failed to notice the possible 4 flush...with that in mind, I would be more inclined to just bet both 6th and 7th (and crying call a raise) because I still think he has trip 9s, given how passively he played 4th with what would be a live 4 flush with an overcard. I think check raising the river here would be the worst play because you are easily against a flush or full house if he bets. Check calling seems okay...the more agressive the opponent the more likely I would be to check call because most agressive player are going to bet trip 9s on the riv if you check it to them.

-Carlos
Old 05-16-2005, 02:25 PM

I would just bet the river myself, but I really don't know how to play hands like this in stud/8. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]