Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 02:00 AM

Default A common situation

A 2 brings in 3 folds
there is an Ace to act before you and you have (9A)9 no card higher then J behind you.

If the ace to your left completes this is a muck but if he folds is this an auto complete? Does this change if you are in earlier position but still with all small cards behind? What if the Ace just calls?
Old 05-11-2005, 05:53 AM

Default Hello,Beta! If the \"A\" RAISES,FOLD...UR HAND..unless

u strongly suspect that OPPO. raises with many other hands then a Pr. of A's. If UR not quite sure,release your hand and study him carefully on subsequent plays. If U strongly believe he doesn't have A's ,RE-RAISE. However,if the J's call ur re-raise on 3rd,ur beat. With no imp.,check 4th and hope U improve on 5th with a free card on 4th and that UR OPPO(s) receives apparent rags on 5th.
If the "A" just calls,he is PROBABLY fishing.. Go ahead and RAISE with one overcard to act after U. If the Js fold and the "A" comes over the top,take one card off and hope u trip up. If NO improvement,FOLD your hand(UNLESS U have specific knowledge of ur oppo--believing that he is probably trying to make U lay down the best hand--However,u need to be quite sure of your OPPO's playing style. If U are not quite sure,be CONSERVATIVE--probably FOLD. However study him very carefully when u are in and out hands.
In general,if there is only one overcard to act after U ,go ahead and RAISE;if MORE than one,CALL--And if it's 2 more bets to U after u call, FOLD ur hand.
SittingBull
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2005, 09:46 AM

Default Re: A common situation

Yeah, if the ace folds I'm raising just about always.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:21 AM

if the Ace calls I could fold or raise. It depends on the ante, how loose/bad the guy who just limped with the Ace is, and how loose the people behind me are.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:35 PM

Generally, I'm raising whether the Ace folds or calls. When you say no card higher than a J, that isn't quite enough information. If I'm looking at a Jack and a Ten, I probably just call. If I'm looking at a Jack, an Eight, and a Six, I probably raise.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:10 PM

if the A completes you have a decision based upon his style of play and the games texture. If you two two suited and live I would have a tendancy to kick up my aggression a notch. that is calling where id normally fold or raising where Id normally call.

of course if the A is a tight assed rock I would fold.

there are a few other instances when I would fold, raise, or call but they are totally based on the it depends factors.

However 9A9 rainbow in relativly early position with a dupped kicker and that kicker is raising abnormally isnt a hand I would normally put in the third bet with or call the second for that matter.

I just hate to be in a bad position on 4th with a middling hand and a dead kicker.

timmer