Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2005, 09:20 AM

Default could (should) i have got away from this?

yesterdays party $350k , just before 3rd break, im in bb with K5, i have T13000~, around 220 left from 1500, top 80 paid

open raised to T600 from mp (blinds 100-200) folded to my BB - my table image is TAG, not played many hands have about double ave stack for tourney and am third in chips at my table - ive been calling reasonable sized bets on my BB with semi-sensible hands and have managed to get a few favourable flops to defend with so far

flop comes K95, two spades (ive none) 1500 in pot - i bet out 1000 other player thinks then pushes (hes one of the two with more chips than me) - i call and he shows K9

im thinking with my stack size i could have afforded to fold here - however a win would push me to ~T27000 and put me in a very comfortable postion

i figured him for A something but i guess with the trips possibilities (55 or 99 would fit his pre flop raise i guess but not AA)it should have been easyish to get away from - in my defence the table seems to be pushing with most pairs pre flop (decent mix of reasonable and shortish stacks so quite a few show downs) - MP player has been slightly more aggressive than average i would say

any thoughts greatly appreciatted (although i suspect ive answered my own question) - essentially who would have folded here and how often?

Regards
Stephen
Old 01-03-2005, 09:43 AM

Default Re: could (should) i have got away from this?

I probably would have folded preflop bc of just this precise situation...I dont wanna face it. Does this fit you description of a sensible hand to play? It doesnt fit mine especially unsuited.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:51 AM

Zaxx is right, this is a fold preflop. That being said, I frequently find myself in the same situation; and frequently find myself calling just as you did. A cold, clinical analysis makes a fold pretty clearly the right choice given your chip position.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:12 AM

Fold preflop. If you want to defend, do it w/ hands like 98s, etc. You don't want to be playing potentially dominated hands (like weak As and Ks).
Old 01-05-2005, 06:24 PM

You flopped perfect. Your aggressive opponent put all their chips in. If you're looking to get away in this situation, don't call the raise preflop with K5.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:31 PM

I would quit poker before I made that preflop call. It's bad. really bad. reallyist baddist. muy malo. I would rather have almost any other hand.

on a lighter note, your postflop play is perfect.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:57 PM

I am confussed with the call here, I really dont get it. If you thought he has been aggressive preflop trying to steal pots and Iam going to defend, I would reraise here to 1800. If I felt this guy was soild I would fold quickly and move on. A Flat call being the worst option possible.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:08 PM

Maybe this is a limit play, but I have heard that your call is not that bad. In limit, you are getting the correct odds to call and catch a king if your opponent isn't playing AA or a better king. That is in limit though.

For No Limit, if you feel you can outplay your opponent post-flop, you can call some questionable hands. This was an unfortunate flop for you, given your opponent's bad preflop raise holding. If you are going to call in NL with hands like K5, you should be very good at identifying when you have hit your hand and are still behind. That is a very important part of "outplaying your opponent". Very few players are good at this, so it is usually a mistake.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe this is a limit play, but I have heard that your call is not that bad. In limit, you are getting the correct odds to call and catch a king if your opponent isn't playing AA or a better king. That is in limit though.

For No Limit, if you feel you can outplay your opponent post-flop, you can call some questionable hands. This was an unfortunate flop for you, given your opponent's bad preflop raise holding. If you are going to call in NL with hands like K5, you should be very good at identifying when you have hit your hand and are still behind. That is a very important part of "outplaying your opponent". Very few players are good at this, so it is usually a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hope you aren't implying that there is anyone on earth that would be able to correctly get away from this hand on the flop with these chip stacks. Let's leave that sort of "looking into your soul" fantasy for the guy on "tilt".
Old 01-05-2005, 07:56 PM

If I'm gonna defend my blind with K5, I prefer to reraise preflop.

On the flop you've stop n go'd, and met heavy resistance. I'd probably call more than half the time (checking the second hand on my watch!) fearing sets but on the other hand expecting to be in a race against a flush draw or AA, AK.

Calling with cr&amp;p kings and aces and hitting a vulnerable two pair, and then facing a big decision with them in an aggressive pot is a very big reason not to call with them in the first place, since the flop is not likely to be scary to your opponent.

Jon