Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2004, 04:49 PM

Default LCD vs. CRT

It seems a lot of people here are using the Dell 2001FP 20.1-inch LCD monitor to 4-table (1600x1200 native and max resolution).

The difference in price between the 2001FP and a 19-inch CRT monitor with 1600x1200 max resolution is about $550 ($799 vs. $242).

Is there a good reason aside from desk space considerations to go with the LCD display?

For the extra $550, I could add more RAM, upgrade the graphics card, etc.

I've read this article and it hasn't convinced me that the LCD is worth the increased price. Am I missing something?
Old 12-28-2004, 04:57 PM

Default Re: LCD vs. CRT

Well, for one thing with the LCD, the 20.1" is the actual usable screen size whereas the CRT will likely have only about 18" usable. 1600x1200 will probably be too small on an 18" screen unless you want to wear reading glasses.

Don't skimp on the monitor, because it will probably outlast the rest of your system if you upgrade at all frequently. Since you spend so much time looking at it, I feel the monitor is the most important part of the system.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:01 PM

yeah, and the actual screen area is much larger as he said...
Old 12-28-2004, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, for one thing with the LCD, the 20.1" is the actual usable screen size whereas the CRT will likely have only about 18" usable. 1600x1200 will probably be too small on an 18" screen unless you want to wear reading glasses.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. Good point.

The 20-22 inch CRTs are up in the $400-$600 range, which makes the price difference a lot less.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:59 PM

Depending on how much you play, the text will be crisper, cleaner and the screen brighter. It will consume less electricity (not that it matters to most people) and produces less heat. The desk space is a huge advantage as well as looking sharp. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I personally moved from CRTs to LCDs about a year and a half ago and I can honestly say that I will never go back. The only real advantage I like about CRTs is that the colors can blend better when watching movies and playing games. LCDs tend to have very distinct colors whereas CRTs will blend colors together better (and have a better refresh rate vs response time for games and fast moving graphics).
Old 12-28-2004, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LCDs tend to have very distinct colors whereas CRTs will blend colors together better (and have a better refresh rate vs response time for games and fast moving graphics).

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a concern because I do watch DVDs on the computer.

Will a better graphics card help with this?
Old 12-28-2004, 05:14 PM

I personally think that DVDs and games looked better on my old CRT than on the LCD I use now...but, the LCD is so much better for my daily work (software development), uses about 1/3rd the electricity, and doesn't threaten to warp the surface of my desk like a CRT might.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:18 PM

I have a 17 inch LCD and watched IRobot in here the other day as the DVD player was acting up (Am I the only one who has been through 20 of these things since they came out?) and I was AMAZED at the quality of the picture. It truly did suprise me.

I use some DVD program called "SONIC" which added the drivers my computer was apparently missing so I am not sure if that has something to do with it, other than that just a 64 MB NVIDIA Graphics card (think it cost about $90) and my LCD which is a NEC model that is nwo going on 3 years and starting to flicker on me with dark shades of yellow.

I am used to watching DVD's on a HDTV running Component cables too, so I am getting the best possible picture on my T.V. although the size difference may be partially to blame. 62 inch widesceen vs a 17 inch square [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I am looking forward to buyin a dell Monitor when the opportunity is there. My SO's mom just bought a new dell and got the 19 inch LCD with it and thaat damn thing went to 2000 by XXXX I couldn't believe it. I'm not sure if it had something to do with the graphics card or what but I could find out more information about the exact monitor and system if others want to know.

It was a pretty beefed up system and ran about $1700 I think....
Old 12-28-2004, 05:33 PM

I just wish they would make a 17 or 19 inch LCD that would go 1600x1200.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:53 PM

BOOT - That is what I am saying. I am 99.9% sure the one in the above mentioned system did. Let me call them tonight and find out more information I will post it when I find it in a seperate thread Entitled something liek "Max Resolution of XXXX by XXXX with a DELL 19 inch LCD" as I am sure it will cause quite a stir if I am not mistaken.