Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2004, 09:38 PM

Default FINAL TABLE, another JJ hand.

Party 30+3 NL today, a tuneup for the WPT next week. 810 entrants and we're at the final table. 7 players remain.

i'm having trouble w/ the converter so here I go:

Blinds 5k/10k.

UTG (225K)
UTG+1 (22K)
MP (117K)
Hero (115K)
Button (96K)
SB (130K)
BB (105K)

UTG minraises to 20k. Folded to hero in the cutoff w/ JJ. Hero's best play is....

Keep in mind that aside from UTG+1, all the stacks are pretty much even, except for the raiser in this hand that has a big lead. Raiser has been playing tightly. Does anyone fold? Or just move in and hope for the best?

Results to follow.

Comments/feedback greatly appreciated.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:43 PM

Default Re: FINAL TABLE, another JJ hand.

You have 11 BBs, so you still have some play left. That being said, you could always see a flop and move all-in if no overcards fall, or if only a Q falls. You could min-raise it back to him and it'd hurt but I wouldn't say you'd be crippled by it if you had to fold.

You have many more options than pushing or folding. Personally, I'd hit up a min-raise back to him. If he decides to push, I'd more than likely fold, but I'd use my time bank.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:58 PM

Wow this is a very interesting hand bc it really comes down to risk reward breakdown. At the time Id have a hard time laying this hand and might move in. In retrospect I think thats probably incorrect unless you feel the table is cuthroat and very very aggressive..in which case you WANT your money in with the 4th best hand in the game. I probably call. Calling here can signal GREAT STRENGHT to a sophisticated player. If a high flop comes out and he checks i probably bet. If it comes out all undercards I simply move in...I guess if a pp hits a set he is gonna get all the $$$ anyway.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:59 PM

What about the raising pf option? Considering I think it's the best one, I'd like to hear some thoughts on it.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:07 PM

You cant bail preflop if he reraises you all in with 37% of your cash in the pot already..a move he will most likely make with AQ and AK. BUT HE MIGHT MUCK AK OR MORE PROBABLY AQ TO A RERAISE ALL IN. With that stack he wants to see 5 cards with these hands IMHO and pick up any scant folding equity he might have ~15%-20%(Im not saying it is correct for a player to fold here with so much of his stack in already just relaying reality)

I was assuming you meant just reraising preflop not moving in....
Old 12-27-2004, 10:36 PM

I would lean towards reraising to 40 or 50K, or just flat calling there. There are still many players to act behind you, they might wake up with a big hand, meaning if you just call and it gets reraised by a later player, you can see what the UTG player does, and make your decision easier, probably to fold in that situation. If you reraise and it gets back to UTG, and he just calls, you might be in good shape if the flop comes with no face cards, and you would be in position on the betting rounds, which would give you an obvious advantage.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:40 PM

If you reraise with 50k THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN FOLD IF SOMEONE BEHIND YOU MOVES IN. How can you fold the 4th best hand with almost half you chips already in the pot plus extra chips...I mean You are close to the point(no there yet) were play just for set value would be mathematically correct.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:44 PM

I never said to fold, if you raised to 40 or 50K and got reraised. At that point, you are commited to your hand. I made examples with reraising and being called by the UTG player, or just calling, and folding to a reraise.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:49 PM

SO...how does that raise help you if someone wakes up with a monster behind you exactly??
Old 12-27-2004, 10:55 PM

I would fold or just call here, leaning more towards folding. You have a moderate stack, and are facing a large stack that CAN bust you whos UTG and has been playing tightly.

Calling to see the flop isnt a bad move, and I might just call depending on my read of the player and my current image. Re-raising is an awful move.