Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2004, 12:06 PM

Default 2/4 - T8s in SB...

I have about $920 in front..
Villain in this hand has about $1300 and is in the big blind...
He is tricky agressive, and really the only half decent player at the table. Its 7 handed, and everyone else is on their second or third reload as its 6am...

I have T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the SB...
Folded to MP who limps, folded back to me and I complete and villain checks through...

Flop is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check and its checked around.

Turn is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I think about going for a checkraise, but opt to lead out for $10 as I didn't want to see it get checked down again and then hit my draw to win a very small pot.

Villain min reraises to $20...
MP folds...

I guess this is the point I was looking for some guidance. Calling seems fine, raising seems decent too. He could make this play with something slowplayed like 2 pair, or something like TJ or possibly a better diamond draw. Or possibly nothing although less likely. My first instinct was to raise to 60 straight. But I really didn't want to see him come over the top of me...

Who calls instead of raising. And if I raise how much?

Anyhow - I bump it up to 60 and he minreraises again. Wasn't quite sure what to make of his play other then he may have a set or Q9 or is getting out of line...
So I call...
Aprox $250 in the pot...

River is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

My move?
Old 09-28-2004, 12:45 PM

Default Re: 2/4 - T8s in SB...

I vote for calling, I don't think you should have bumped it up on the turn, you want to see a river, you don't want to have to fold this. When he keeps coming over the top I think warning bells should be going off in your head. When he keeps minraising you on the turn, it sounds like a set. Then again, if he a is a decent tricky opponent, it could be two pair, but I don't see him minraising hands if he's good.

As for the river, this card sucks, if he does have a set, he just filled up, if he was bluffing a diamond draw it's probably higher than your T. Perhaps this is weak-tight thinking? I've never played in games where I've thrown out blocking bets, but this seems like the perfect opportunity for you to throw one out here in the hopes that he will just call and you can muck. If he comes over the top I'd fold. Because he is aggressive/tricky, I think you have to bet out here because if you check he will bet an amount that you probably can't call...just my thoughts.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:27 PM

absolutly call. you have very little fold equity in a raise, so if you did so it would only be for value reasons. and since you dont want to value bet when you are behind % wise, just flat call and play the river.

on the river, a c/r is nice.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:39 PM

really?
Old 09-28-2004, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

really?

[/ QUOTE ]

well he did min raise twice on one street. its not my regular line but is it bad?
Old 09-28-2004, 03:57 PM

I kind of favor leading out on the river and folding to a raise.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:25 PM

Wouldn't this be a good time for the "blocking bet" that was discussed in so much depth recently?

Bet half the pot and fold to an over-the-top?
Old 09-28-2004, 04:47 PM

I was thinking that too (couldn't remember if it was called a freeze bet or what) but i think that it should be smaller than half the pot, more like 1/5 - 1/4 the pot.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:04 PM

The blocking bet was a thought, I haven't used it much with any sucess. Maybe I am making them at the wrong time but I ussually get raised if I am trying to make a blocking bet. Anyhow, on the river I was trying to put him on a range of hands to find out what I beat what I don't etc, I used all my time bank and checked towards the end with the intent of calling. (I figured he may bluff a fair amount here as well) Not sure if he thought he picked up a timing tell or if he thought I was weak but he bet $325 rather quickly...
I called even faster - he showed 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I didn't expect to see that. In retrospect the checkraise was an interesting option BK that I didn't really give serious consideration too. I just assumed it would be a checkraise that he folds - in which case I make the same, or where he calls and I loose more. But he may have paid off a push - im not sure...
Old 09-28-2004, 05:14 PM

I don't think your hand is strong enough to checkraise.

1/4 the pot for a blocking bet? Youc an lead that I guess, but then you have to call a raise. I'd lead out more like 4/5 the pot or the pot.