Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 03:39 AM

Default This hand greatly confuses me.

$50 Large Caps MTT on Party. There's 120 left, payout starts at 90, and I have t6500, slightly less than average, about 4th in chips on the table.

Blinds are at 200/400. Table leader, with about t12k, opens up UTG + 2 to t1000. My read is are that he's pretty tight. Haven't seen him in any hands since I've been at the table. The table is also playing extremely tight. Neither blind is shortstacked. I've only been at the table for a few hands.

I have AJo in MP2. I raise to t2500. This hand is giving me grief. I talked it over with my friend but I still couldn't decide if this was abysmal, neutral, or good.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:46 AM

Default Re: This hand greatly confuses me.

1 vote for abysmal.

At BEST, call and fold the missed flop. What do you think a good TAG is raiseing with UTG +2???

Answer: It ALL beats AJo.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:46 AM

With your read of this guy, its a muck. No question...
Old 02-01-2005, 04:08 AM

He's tight and raising from EP both indicate that he's miles ahead of AJ. The reraise is horrible. AJ really isn't anything special. Just muck it and get on with the tournament.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:17 AM

I agree. With your stack size, there's no reason to do this. True, there's always the chance that you might wind up in a showdown against the raiser and he might be holding a PP lower than jacks, but that's at best. Likely, you're far behind him. Easy fold.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:30 AM

If you are gonna raise with this hand, you may as well push because you just wasted one third of your stack and if this guy's as strong as his open, he's gonna put you in anyway and force you to make a decision. Don't tangle with this guy with your hand.

Remember, the hand that you call or raise an opening raise has to be a better than average hand. AJo might be a good hand to open raise with, but I don't think I'm betting half my stack with it unless I'm short-stacked; in which case, I'm pushing all-in.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:58 AM

fold preflop

call only if you promise to play the flop like you have no ace in your hand

the reraise is brutal against a tight player raising from EP - if he can raise in EP, he can call a reraise and may put you all in preflop, which you can't call

Jon

Edit: You'd probably have to call the all in given the pot odds and deal with being in a race as a dog