Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 12:27 PM

Default UB 20+2 MTT, 2 hands near the bubble

UB 20+2 NLHE MTT, 514 started, 50 places pay.

Background - since arriving at the table ~1 hour ago as the short stack, Hero has shown down the following hands: JJ (doubled up vs TT), AA (quadrupled up with vs AQs and TT), QQ (doubled up vs JJ), and KK (shown after reraising a 3xBB EP raiser who agonized before folding).

Hand 1: blinds 300/600, ante 50 (75?), 9 handed. 58 players left, 50 places pay.
Hero 18K, Villain 11.5K. Villain is EP raiser who laid down to Hero's KK reraise in the hand above.

Dealt to Hero [5d, 5s]. Hero (MP) open-raises (PSB, ~2500). All fold to Villain (BB), who calls.

Flop (pot ~6000) 622 rainbow.
Villain checks, Hero pushes, Villain goes into the tank before calling his last 9K.

Anyone like the push? As Villain, with what range of hands do you call?

Hand 2: blinds 300/600, ante 50 (75?), 9 handed. 54 players left, 50 places pay.
Hero 6600, Villain#2 11K. No particular read on Villain #2. Table has been a little bubble-tight lately.

Dealt to Hero [Ad, Qd]. UTG folds, UTG+1 limps, 2 folds, MP minraises (1200), 3 folds, Hero (BB) pushes 6600. EP folds, MP calls (getting 1.7:1).

Anyone else push? Too afraid of monsters? As Villain#2, with what range of hands do you make this call?
Old 01-04-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: UB 20+2 MTT, 2 hands near the bubble

Hand 1: I like the push. It's highly unlikely the flop hit him, and I don't want any bigger cards coming out. I can see the Villain calling with any hand with a 2 in it, any pair, and maybe A6.

Hand 2: I'd probably push in that situation too, but it's borderline given:

(a) the UTG+1 limper,
(b) the min-raise with UTG+1 already in the pot and 5 yet to act, and
(c) the tight table, which gives you a decent chance of stealing and regaining your blinds in the next rotation.

On the other hand, I don't care about creeping into the money and now is likely to be your best shot before being blinded and anted to death.

I see Villain calling with AK-AJ, AA-88.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:37 PM

Hand 1:
With the hands that you've shown down, villain probably is going to be very selective with the hands that he defends with. The line with a big pair and probably AK would have been to raise you and that didn't happen. So villain probably has a mid pair or broadway cards. With that flop the villain is pretty sure that you didn't hit the 6 or the 2, so he's trying to figure out if your starting hand is better than his. There aren't any draws out so pushing looks kinda weak. So I'd bet around 5k and see what happens. Villain has shown that he knows how to fold so if he check raises all-in you've got to strongly consider folding.

Hand 2: What were the stack sizes of the players involved in the hand ? Have you seen ep limper and min raiser make bets like that before? Has your table been passive enough that a player would think that he could limp from early position without being reraised? Do you think you've got much folding equity against mp1? Do you think utg+1 limper is going to reraise?

I'd lean towards smooth calling and pushing the flop if I hit, pick up a flush draw, or the flop comes all low cards. If UTG+1 pushs, I'd probably fold.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Re: UB 20+2 MTT, 2 hands near the bubble - results

Thanks for the responses. Villain1 was looking to CR me but had second thoughts when I pushed. He had 3rd thoughts and made what he thought was a crying call, but he had TT and MHING. Villain 2 called w AJo.

After sleeping on it, I think I agree with Villain1's call, but not Villain2's. In Hand 1, I think a bet of 5000 commits me anyway (if he reraises, I'm getting ~5:1 to call. In hand 2, I don't remember UTG's stack size, but I did think I had some folding equity over MP.

Thanks again,
MWC.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:19 PM

Hand 1 - The check by the villian after the flop on this board is concerning after he smooth calls your raise preflop [it smells like a check-raise]. I am not sure I would have pushed with 55 as I would be concerned about an overpair.

Hand 2 - I like the play. There is a good chance all fold to you and if you are called you have good chance at having the best hand.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:10 PM

hand 1

i'm not a huge fan of the PFR. the push is ok since you were checked to and it's near the bubble.

hand 2

fold preflop, best to open raise with AQ around now, not reraise

villain can call with AK and JJ or better, IMO

Jon