Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software

Old 12-28-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Hardware requirement for 8-table

I think this might be a better place to post than computer technical help board. Anyways, I've been doing 8-table for a while and it slows down the system to a degree that I can't bear it any more. My PC setup is P4 2.4/512MB.

Does this happen to everyone or it is just me? Will upgrading to 1GB help? What's your PC configuration and how's its performance? Thanks.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Hardware requirement for 8-table

That config is plenty for eight tabling. The question is, what software are you running? PT (import interval?)? Any hud programs? Others?
Old 12-28-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this might be a better place to post than computer technical help board. Anyways, I've been doing 8-table for a while and it slows down the system to a degree that I can't bear it any more. My PC setup is P4 2.4/512MB.

Does this happen to everyone or it is just me? Will upgrading to 1GB help? What's your PC configuration and how's its performance? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I would even try 2GB of memory since memory prices are falling. Defrag your hard drive and possibly purchase an additional one if you are above 60% full.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:00 PM

512MB of ram is plenty. If 512MB isn't enough, the solution is to solve the problem causing the memory usage, instead of just buying more. Sure buying 1.5GB extra ram might postpone the problem, but it'd be much smarter to just figure out what's wrong. Heck, i'm 10-tabling from my little Latitude X-1, 1.1Ghz / 512Mb ram.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:08 PM

I agree the problem is not RAM. I have a 2.4/1GB and have the same lag. The problem is processor power. I am running PT(1 minute intervals)/PAHUD/AHK/MTH/Party 8 tables. I have resorted to adjusting process priorities which helps. I change Party to high priority, PAHUD/PT to Low. Any other suggestions other than dumping some software?
Old 12-28-2005, 07:21 PM

I'd suggest increasing the PT import interval to at least 2-3 minutes. You won't really notice any difference in the stats, and it'll really save some power. You could also try lowering MTH's priority, although i would almost expect it to be troublesome. One thing i have noted is that my secondary monitor (2 x 2001FP) doesn't have nearly the same amount of graphics acceleration as my primary one has (both conncted to same video card (DVI/VGA)). When i have a lot of Party tables on my non accelerated monitor that really bogs down the system to a halt sometimes. It's a longshot, but if you're running two monitors, try to see if there's a difference in keeping all tables on one of the monitors compared to the other.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:54 PM

I only have PT and pokerace running, I have it updated per minute. I suspect the bottleneck might be the harddrive. If that's the case, there isn't much we can do, right?
Old 12-28-2005, 09:57 PM

Well, you could start by increasing the interval to three minutes, that'd most likely help. Other than that you could consider getting a new faster hard drive (which one do you have now?).
Old 12-29-2005, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
512MB of ram is plenty. If 512MB isn't enough, the solution is to solve the problem causing the memory usage, instead of just buying more. Sure buying 1.5GB extra ram might postpone the problem, but it'd be much smarter to just figure out what's wrong. Heck, i'm 10-tabling from my little Latitude X-1, 1.1Ghz / 512Mb ram.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea i'm using a dell P3 1.0 with 512MB. i can 8 table and run pokertracker with very little/if any delay
Old 12-29-2005, 03:58 AM

Three minutes is my sweet spot for PT imports, no matter how many tables I'm playing up to 12. P4-2.4, some 5400 HDD (didn't want the noise/heat of a 7200) and 512MB RAM. 1 minute only lags me with many sessions (dead HH files), many tables and a LONG uptime.

edit: postgreSQL, it probably matters, I dunno.