Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-22-2005, 11:27 AM

Default Sng\'s and Bluffing

For those who play the 33s and lower....

Maybe I'm the only one, but is anyone else choosing to bluff in the early game? Everyone here talks about tight play here early, and its usually the best route.

However, sometimes you can limp into a pot with one or 2 early callers and either:

-Call early weak bets, like 20-30% pot bets, to take the pot away on the turn
-Make small bets after everyone has checked, and then make a large bet after the field has checked again on the turn, and take the pot.

There are other specific situations, but it seems that the lesser, non-maniac players, fall into betting patterns that often gives away the fact that they have a weak hand, and that they can be pushed off of it.

Obviously, there's other times when a player calls your raises, and larger bets, and there's no point in trying to push a maniac off of a hand (in this case, you're usually way ahead - point being, not a place to bluff).

Sometimes, I'm wrong, and down to 650 chips in Level 1 or 2, but usually I can get my chips to 900-1000 and have a far better chance of making the money.

Anyone else do this at 33s (Party for me) and below, or is everyone doing the strict ABC thing?
Old 12-22-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Sng\'s and Bluffing

I also like to make these plays to push players off hands but the problem with it is that they might "just call." At this early stage of the game you don't have enough info about your opponents to know if they will "just call" or if they are strong enough to lay it down. This is why we recommend tight play early.

Indy
Old 12-22-2005, 11:41 AM

If I had to blame one thing for my poor performance this past week, I'd blame exactly what you just said.

I used to consider myself disciplined. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2005, 11:52 AM

I can't possibly play 8 tables and still gain enough information to make reads on who is capable of being bluffed off a hand, and who is not. And, since most of the players can't, it doesn't make sense for me to bluff.

I would definitely try to make some plays like you describe if I were playing one table at a time.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call early weak bets, like 20-30% pot bets, to take the pot away on the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this might be the problem with your argument, as folks in the 11s/22s (and i imagine 33s) will not fold if they feel that they have a hand. it doesn't have to be the nuts, but they will call down a ton.

[ QUOTE ]
fall into betting patterns that often gives away the fact that they have a weak hand

[/ QUOTE ]

the thing about this is that people love to trap in these games. they think c/c and then c/r'ing is the most novel thing since sliced bread, so be careful assuming you're way ahead. everything gets slowplayed.

i don't mean to be so conservative about all this, but there's really no need to deviate from the plan too much. bluff more around the bubble, steal people's blinds as the tighties try to get ITM, etc etc.

low limit STTs are beatable with a mechanical, formulaic approach -- why FPS it up? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2005, 12:11 PM

yea, I'd rather 10-table then squeeze out every little pot I can pick up. Better for the ole hourly rate.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
low limit STTs are beatable with a mechanical, formulaic approach -- why FPS it up? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah.

that, combined with what the other guy said about making those types of reads while multitabling, is reason enough for me to pretty much stick to ABC play.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:35 PM

Alright, I agree with the multi-tabling argument fully.

I'm just starting to play these tables with some focus, so I have only been playing like 1 or 2 at a time. I guess when you add more in, you may not have these reads.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:19 PM

Like most things, it all depends.

I usually find myself doing things like when I am running good, convinced that I am gods gift and can run over the table with fancy plays like this. Under perfect circumstances, these plays will work well. Reads (PT data) are very important. Early on, how good of a read can you really have? Early on, is it worth it to risk almost a quarter of your stack to pickup even 200 chips? I say no.

In general, I don't feel it is worth the risk early on in a 800 chip tourney. In fact, I feel that I find myself trapping early on more then bluffing early on to catch people trying to do these very moves. Especially if we are talking about 1 or 2 opponents. Not that I trap every time, just that I trap way more then I bluff in the early stages.

The difference between having ~1000 chips versus ~800 chips in the early stages in insignificant to me. The difference between having ~700 when 25/50 comes around versus ~500 is huge to me.

BigDave
Old 12-22-2005, 01:24 PM

I was just going to post something like this! I was wondering what bluffs people find profitable.

What I've found to be most profitable is to raise from late position, and follow up with a continuation bet if checked to. Pretty standard, but works very well.

I've tried going all-in when 3 or 4 people have limped in at say about 10xBB, and this has worked so-so. The problem is sometimes people will limp in with AK or KK type hands, which is stupid, but that's what they do. I don't know if this happens enough to make my bluff unprofitable though, because I don't have a large enough sample (by about 5 orders of magnitude).