Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-24-2005, 07:34 AM

Default Avoiding tells in live tournaments

I generally put a chip on my hand whether I am going to play it or not. I don't say anything while is a hand other than "raise", "call", and "allin". If someone is sonsidering calling me, I sit motionless no matter what. I try not to make motions to my chips or to fold until it is my turn, and sometimes make slight spurious motions to confuse any tell.

When the dealer is counting my chips allin, I try to avoid correcting him. Sometimes I would say something when he was off, but found that was a major tell.

I don't wait until it is my turn to look at my cards. I know a lot of pros do that in major tournaments, but the cost/benefits don't seem worth it in the tournaments I play in.

Are there other things I should be doing or should consider if playing in a major tournament?
Old 11-24-2005, 07:38 AM

Default Re: Avoiding tells in live tournaments

every hand get up, run around the table screaming as loud as you can

every

hand

even if you fold

trust me, you will be unreadable.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
every hand get up, run around the table screaming as loud as you can

every

hand

even if you fold

trust me, you will be unreadable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the serious and helpful reply.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:46 AM

I really suggest waiting til it's your turn to look at your cards. This makes you watch the other players act before you, and it allows you to consider the situation (your position, players left to act, actions of players before you) before you look at your cards.

When I look at my cards live, I'm always careful to repeat them to myself twice in my head so I won't forget the suits. This gives me a pretty consistent pause before acting and also prevents the really obvious tell of going back to check for suits on a monotone flop.

I personally find that trying to hide tells by acting motionless doesn't work well for me. I have much more fold equity when I'm talking and smiling. I'm always careful to treat my opponents like my friends when they ask for chipcounts and stuff. I think this gives me more fold equity against people who are looking for these kind of things. If nothing else, it gives me something to think about during the rather awkward waiting period.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I personally find that trying to hide tells by acting motionless doesn't work well for me. I have much more fold equity when I'm talking and smiling. I'm always careful to treat my opponents like my friends when they ask for chipcounts and stuff. I think this gives me more fold equity against people who are looking for these kind of things. If nothing else, it gives me something to think about during the rather awkward waiting period.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that's OK if it works for you, but I am not always looking for a fold. I think it is better to sit motionless and silent regardless whether I am bluffing or have the nuts. Why give any information?
Old 11-24-2005, 08:45 AM

I worked on my mind set a lot:

It's just a game. It is interesting. I will learn anytime I play a live tourney. I am actively interested in my fellow players. I am less interested in me and my cards. Therefore, I can openly watch them with genuine interest how they make their decisions. They can only watch me watching them.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really suggest waiting til it's your turn to look at your cards. This makes you watch the other players act before you, and it allows you to consider the situation (your position, players left to act, actions of players before you) before you look at your cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then again, if other people are watching the guy 3 to your right look at his cards while you look, it might be harder for them to pick up a tell on you. That being said, I agree it's best just to wait until the action is on you.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:58 PM

WAIT till it's your turn to act. If you don't I guarantee you will eventually be spewing a tell.

Bruce
Old 11-24-2005, 05:51 PM

Making the same actions when acting, ie how you put your chips into the pot, if you say anything or not, etc are all very important, that is, as long as others are paying attention. And if you are, then assume that at least 1-2 others are doing the same.

[ QUOTE ]

When I look at my cards live, I'm always careful to repeat them to myself twice in my head so I won't forget the suits. This gives me a pretty consistent pause before acting and also prevents the really obvious tell of going back to check for suits on a monotone flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have to agree here, I play live at least once a week and although small buy-ins, except for one $550 a month, I do the same. Can't really add much more, just think it makes good sense as you can really get reads on other players.

I also watch the other players as the flop comes down and wait to peak for myself when I can.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:53 PM

Something I've started doing is if I'm heads up going to the flop and last to act, I don't even look at the flop at all, rather my opponent to see his immediate reaction to the flop. Even if I completely missed the flop, I've found that if I can get a tell on my opponent as soon as the flop comes I can bet him out easily. This works also if your opponent is looking at you when the flop comes, because he won't be able to get a read on you yet, and he'll be forced to look at the flop. This can be a very annoying yet effective strategy.