Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Curtains: screw the 10 BB \'rule\'

So are you pushing bigger hands here as well? Is this part of a mixed strategy or are you to push any playable hand here?
Old 12-26-2005, 02:56 PM

If the BB calls, then playing a 500-600 chip pot with position when there is only 900-1000 chips left in play, can be very unpleasant on quite a few flops. Missing flops like these and having to decide how much or whether to c-bet can be one of the most irritating decisions and poker.

I prefer to just take my $15-$20 of value, and also some of these guys will call with plenty of hands that I crush.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the BB calls, then playing a 500-600 chip pot with position when there is only 900-1000 chips left in play, can be very unpleasant on quite a few flops. Missing flops like these and having to decide how much or whether to c-bet can be one of the most irritating decisions and poker.

I prefer to just take my $15-$20 of value, and also some of these guys will call with plenty of hands that I crush.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is there a range of hands with which you make a standard raise? Or, is the situation such that it basically becomes push or fold?
Old 12-26-2005, 03:47 PM

Someone asked about A8o..Id probably raise to 250 with that hand, as I would with big hands like QQ as well.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:19 PM

hehe ya i noticed this too, he's always jamming over 10 BB's on steals or instead of standard raising...i've since adopted the strategy, thanks curtains [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-26-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Someone asked about A8o..Id probably raise to 250 with that hand, as I would with big hands like QQ as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you raise 250 w/A8o but push w/AQ? Aren't you faced with the same tough decision if one of the blinds calls and you miss the flop and have to decide whether to c-bet or not? And if one of the blinds pushes, you're going to call, aren't you? Then why not push? I don't understand the reason for playing the two hands differently.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:26 PM

what i dont like about it is it takes away the weak resteal. It's less likely they would call with A6, but will often push with it figuring you are stealing. I like to give them the opportunity to make that mistake.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:39 PM

If opponents know that he also raises with super-premium hands (QQ+), they will be less likely to push over the raise. In effect, the raise is either really good, or sort of good; the big hands protect the sort of good hands. Right?
Old 12-26-2005, 06:49 PM

I get the impression that he will fold to a push when he bets A8o. But his opponents, knowing he's a strong player and also being strong players themselves (and i'm comfortable assuming most players at 215s are!!), will be less likely to reraise AI on a "scary bet" like that. Also, betting his top hands this way should give them a chance to respect the 3x bb raise even more than they regularly would.

This is my impression, and it's also how i'll play these hands now since it doesn't make sense to stack myself to say A10+ when the bb pushes me and i have 15x bb
Old 12-26-2005, 06:53 PM

how do you respond to a Stop N GO if you miss the flop though? Would you be comfortable folding? If so, does the 1/3 times you call it make it worth it.
What about a 1/2 - fullsized bet on the flop if you miss it?