Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 09-01-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Hurricane Katrina: Where to Donate

[ QUOTE ]
I stopped donating money to the Red Cross shortly after 9/11. I felt ripped off and cheated, and decided to never donate to them again.

-Diplomat

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree....I have donated money but really want to donate the needed supplies. I have so many people willing to donate things that are so desperately needed there but we dont know how to get it to them. Does anyone have any suggestions? Military, etc.

Thanks..

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Stef [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Also..We donated to the Salvation Army...I prefer donating to them over the red cross....if anyone is interested check out their website or call 1-800-SALARMY
Old 09-02-2005, 02:12 AM

There are alot of small churches in a 2-3 hour radius that are taking as many people in as they can, but still only 20-40. As the length of this takes on grueling proportions, they will certainly need help, and the money will go 100% to those that need...as things settle down, I will try to compile a list.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:06 AM

Well said.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Volunteer Oportunity

I have it on good authority that some divisions of the Red Cross are accepting volunteers to go help. You have to be in excellent health ("no asthma, no recent surgeries, no catheters" - yes, that's exactly what the flier I saw said). You have to be willing to go for 3 weeks. You will live in refugee situations, eating "camp food" and sleeping in areas that may not have air conditioning. You may have to confront dead bodies. They will train you and tell you what to do.

One number in Central Coast CA to call is (805) 543-0696 and speak to Kelly. I'm sure there are others, just call your LOCAL Red Cross.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Volunteer Oportunity

Yes, many Red Cross chapters are lookking for volunteers.
I hear FEMA is also looking for volunteers. I hear FEMA wants a 2 week commitment. Red Cross wants 3 weeks I hear, but a few chapters want less.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are alot of small churches in a 2-3 hour radius that are taking as many people in as they can, but still only 20-40. As the length of this takes on grueling proportions, they will certainly need help, and the money will go 100% to those that need...as things settle down, I will try to compile a list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do, I'd be far more interested in donating to something like this.
-James
Old 09-03-2005, 02:45 PM

List of Links
I'll update that as often as I can.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:14 PM

Here is website that breaks down all the charities.
web page
I don't want people not participating in this because they don't agree of the charity we selected. The bottom line here is to get these victims our money, make the best use of the money and most importantly take advantage of the matching offer by Paradise Poker.

I am not against changing the charity we donate to if it means more participation. Maybe we can build a list of quality charities that donate the largest portions to the victims and let the winner decide where the money should go from the list we come up with. I don't care where it goes as long as it gets there and is put to the best use possible.

I will get back to everyone on this.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:39 PM

Man, I just responded to the wrong post. I am severely hungover, only excuse I have. Sry.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:02 AM

I'm just a poor college student but I donated #25, not much, but I figured it was the least I could do.