Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 02-26-2003, 01:30 AM

Default u want media distortion, ill give u media distortion

http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/

2/25/03 A Florida judge decided recently that it's technically legal for the media to deliberately lie or distort the news on a television broadcast. "The decision reversed a $425,000 jury verdict in favor of TV journalists Jane Akre and Steve Wilson, who sued WTVT-TV, a Fox affiliate in Tampa, for firing them because they refused to air false reports about the presence of synthetic bovine growth hormone (or BGH) in the area milk supply. The husband-and-wife reporting team asserts that Monsanto, maker of BGH, pressured WTVT to edit the story to be less damning to the company (some of the changes would've undermined the credibility of scientists and studies that link BGH in milk to cancer). Akre and Wilson refused, despite repeated attempts by the station to have the story altered and an offer to terminate them with full pay if they never spoke of their BGH findings. Finally, says Akre, when they threatened to report the station to the FCC for falsifying news, they were canned. The lawsuit was settled in August 2000 with the finding that Fox "acted intentionally and deliberately to falsify or distort the plaintiffs' news reporting on BGH" and that Akre's threat to blow the whistle on Fox's misconduct to the FCC was the sole reason for the termination. The station appealed and prevailed, the judge citing that there is no FCC rule or regulation that specifically makes it illegal to mislead, distort, or falsify the news." Which is, of course, why you come HERE to find out what's really happening.

---------------------------------------

and the link:

http://foxbghsuit.com/

Old 02-26-2003, 01:42 AM

Default Re: u want media distortion, ill give u media distortion

Fair and unbiased news?
Old 02-26-2003, 02:55 PM

Brad,

I'm not surprised. Suppression and bias of news continues to expand in the US. They can't be honest if they want to protect their customers like major corporations and government.

Mark
Old 02-27-2003, 12:37 PM

I suppose that explains why the news reported over 200 thousand anti war protesors in NYC when precise satellite photo measurements concluded there were less than 65 thousand. If you divide all the estimates worldwide by three it appears the anti war movement is a great deal smaller than some would lead us to believe.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:43 PM

Your satellite photo assumes all those people would have been there at the same time. They wouldn't. Have a link for this story?
Old 02-27-2003, 02:46 PM

Jimbo,

I was shocked! We finally agree on something. Even you noticed media distortion.

Mark
Old 02-27-2003, 04:28 PM

Hi Mark,

I am not sure we really agree on this at all. You seem to think media distortion is biased towards the government and big business and I believe the converse is true. On a similar note we agree on most of your poker postings even if I do not add to your thread with an "I agree" post. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2003, 04:32 PM

nicky g,

I will attempt to find an online link although I first saw this on TV and read about it in a hard copy newspaper. As for the all at one time principle when the media states a crowd of 200 thousand gathered that means all at one time as well doesn't it?
Old 02-27-2003, 11:35 PM

Jimbo,

It's easier to prove Poker logic since we can use logic and mathematics to come to the correct conclusion. But, you will notice that there are plenty of posters that sign on to this forum and don't do the math, and basically make themselves look like fools to the guys like Malmuth and Sklansky.

There was a discussion on public radio a few weeks ago that proves your point about the crowd size for demonstrators. They had a statician on their program that explained that the crowd counts could be done if the media rented a helocopter. But, what has been proven is they make up a number that sounds resonable. Sometime, they exaggerate it to stress either who's side they are on or to sensationalize the story.

People will tend to believe what they want to believe regardless of the facts. That's why religion is so popular. Religion is basically a government. When they don't have the answer they always say "God works in misterious ways."

There have been many cases that proves media bias, but we only know it's not true is when they admit it themselves. Like the 60 Minutes issue with CBS on a tobacco story that they canned due to a CBS merger. So, money was the issue in that case.

A good documentary is the PBS film The Battle over Citizen Kane. It reveals how William Randolph Hearst used the media to print made up stories to sell more papers. He eventually had a newspaper in every city. The paper made him so powerful that he used it to get elected to government by influencing public opinion. Go see the film.

You can't believe everything you see in the media, especially if that media organization is owned by a large corporation. These corporations have the tendency, just like Hearst had done, to censor the news.

The only point I want to really get across is that everyone should think for themselves, and don't believe everything you are told.

Mark
Old 02-28-2003, 06:17 AM

Oh, Your stating that you work for the NSA, and have access to satellite photos. If that's true, you'd better stop breaking the law by contributing to terrorist money laundering by playing internet poker. You wouldn't want to be fired for being a traitor.