Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Everyone wants to learn poker when they see the money...

This is a great story; my impression is that you were never a gambler to begin with, looking to make some easy money.

[ QUOTE ]
I am a young player I really am barely starting my playing, I dont really want to teach people or reveal my tricks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead of trying to teach them, just print out a copy of your post, tell them to sign up to the forums, and don't mention the word poker to you until 3 months have passed.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:21 PM

You could always just tell them that when you were starting out, Hellmuth's book worked for you and helped you to earn your stake. Personally, I don't love this book, but in your case, it's the honest truth.

Or tell them that you cut your teeth through many hours on the play money tables. Again, wouldn't be my advice, but in your case, it's the honest truth.

Or, you could recommend the book you think is really the best, and tell them to practice. If you're a real friend, you can offer to analyze some hands that they bring to you for mistakes -- most will give up long before this.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or, you could recommend the book you think is really the best, and tell them to practice. If you're a real friend, you can offer to analyze some hands that they bring to you for mistakes -- most will give up long before this.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make a good point here. It is only once players are able to scrutinize their own play, and are willing to take criticism on the hands they play, that they will have bridged the gap between recreational and serious player. There is also a difference between simply telling you about the hand and them ending the story with, "How could I have played this better?"
Old 07-25-2005, 04:38 PM

I never advise people that i know to play poker.
I always try to politely explain them that poker is a very hard game and that very few people are suited to be poker players.

Of course it causes some weird looks like "why would you be better for it than i" sometimes, but that is better than running into problems with friends because you teach them a game and they go broke on it. Most of them understand it though.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Instead of trying to teach them, just print out a copy of your post, tell them to sign up to the forums, and don't mention the word poker to you until 3 months have passed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know about that one, if they ever read this post they would probably be pissed, lol.

[ QUOTE ]
You could always just tell them that when you were starting out, Hellmuth's book worked for you and helped you to earn your stake. Personally, I don't love this book, but in your case, it's the honest truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a great book, but at the time I had a 0 bankroll I was playing with play chips and points, and this was the only book on the bookstore shelf that covered several games. Also hellmuth was all over the place on UB and on tv all the time as well, I knew nothing about poker, I just assumed he was good at all cash games. Also I dont really know of any books that teach what I know, there isnt one, there are hardly any omaha books and most stink, the only one that covers high low is the one by ray zee but thats limit, so there really wouldnt be a book I could recommend for my game.

[ QUOTE ]
Or tell them that you cut your teeth through many hours on the play money tables. Again, wouldn't be my advice, but in your case, it's the honest truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think they can even do this, my non poker friend is trying this, but he just messes around doesnt really care about play chips or nothing. You know I had millions of play chips after 400 hours of playing on the play chip tables on UB. My friend still has the chips he started with.

[ QUOTE ]
Of course it causes some weird looks like "why would you be better for it than i"

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats pretty much what im afraid will happen, they will think that I am telling them not to play because I think im somehow better than them, or wanna keep all the money to myself, or some other weird reason. I just dont wanna teach them cause im still teaching myself and im not sure I would be a very good teacher, I also dont want to be responsible if they lose their money.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:09 PM

I hear you Jorge

The real problem is your friends want the 'magic bullet'. They don't understand that winning is a combination of having a knack and putting in hundreds of hours in to develop your skill.

BTW, if anyone ever finds the 'magic bullet', tell me, I promise I won't tell anyone else. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The real problem is your friends want the 'magic bullet'. They don't understand that winning is a combination of having a knack and putting in hundreds of hours in to develop your skill.

BTW, if anyone ever finds the 'magic bullet', tell me, I promise I won't tell anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they ever tell you PM I wont tell anyone. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only do you need hundreds of hours of hard work on your game, you need the ability to deal with long periods of variance. There is a silly number of stumbling blocks before you're even a decent poker player, let alone a superstar.

I think an average person stands a better chance of running a marathon in 12 months time than being a winner at poker.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think an average person stands a better chance of running a marathon in 12 months time than being a winner at poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

So true.

Furthermore, anyone who succeeds at one will fail at the other if attempted in the subsequent 12 months.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I am a young player I really am barely starting my playing, I dont really want to teach people or reveal my tricks. I dont mind answering questions about hands on the boards or to my poker buddy, but I dont really want to actually teach someone everything I know about Pot Limit Omaha High Low.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are your friends and family.

Feel free to warn them that 90% of poker players lose, that poker is a difficult game that took you a long time to learn, that you spend hundreds of hours mastering this game.

But if they are sincere in wanting to learn this skill, then you would be a lousy friend or relation not to give them the best advice you have.

Teaching them your "tricks" is not going to lower your earn in any way.