Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Small Blind Hand

Okay, I'm in a learning mode today. When I get tempted to play hands like these out of the small blind, I'm always worried about an overcard coming or getting outkicked if I don't make a flush.

I don't have much reads on any of the players other than MP2 is a little loose.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO calls $0.50 (All-In), Hero calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Okay, I have top pair with a mediocre kicker and a backdoor flush draw, so I bet to see what happens. When MP2 raises, I figure he has a Q and I start worrying whether he has a bigger kicker or two pair. I call anyway because the pot is getting big.

Turn: (7 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks.

Okay, with the flush draw, I probably should have bet here but the overcard and MP2 flop raise scared me and I checked. Sometimes I'm a whimp.

River: (7 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB

With everybody checking with the K turn card and the blank falling on the river, I bet out to see what happens. Should I have checked?
Old 07-19-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Small Blind Hand

I play the flop and turn the same. The flop is close to having enough opponents to check and see what happens, but I would actually bet this with just four. I doubt you have the equity to value-bet the turn, although again it's at least kind of close.

I would just check-call the river. I don't think I'm winning very often if my bet gets called.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:58 AM

Bet the flop. When you pick up the flush draw on the turn, I would bet out. If Im not raised, I lead the river. If I am raised, I call the raise and fold the river UI.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:00 AM

I think the flop was fine as you're getting 10.5 to 1 to call the raise.

I think you're right about betting the turn being the best option here. You might have been able to pick up the pot plus you picked up your spade draw.

The river I think the bet is O.K. but if you had bet the turn I think it would have made it a better bet on the river.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:11 AM

You should bet the turn. The flush draw adds a lot of equity to your hand, plus there's the possibility of MP2 raising, trapping UTG for extra bets.

The river bet is good. You'd call one bet back to you, so leading out is a fine idea.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:23 AM

I like the flop bet. MP2's raise on the flop and then turn check make me think he has a Q with a decent kicker. You figure that if he was raising an OESD, the K either made his straight (T9) or at the least he improved to top pair (K9). You would also assume he'd continue to bet a made hand such as two-pair or a set. He liked his hand when queens were boss, so I would say he's got something like QJ or perhaps a timid AQ.

I would check/call the river for the cheapest SD possible (I don't want to get raised on the river).
Old 07-19-2005, 11:54 AM

I'd play it the same. Looks like a free card play from MP2.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:29 PM

MP2 had Q9 to win the sidepot. CO, who went all in after the flop, had QJ to win the mainpot.