Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2005, 10:51 PM

Default Lets improve this forum!!!!

Hey everyone.

Apparently some people are starting to feel that the SSHE forum is becoming quite cluttered, and is losing its high ratio of signal to noise. While i agree that a large part of this is probably due to the influx of members fresh to the site as well as from the micros forum who are apprehensive about playing at their new level, im still concerned because small stakes is my home. I feel that i have tons of friends here, and there are some awesome poker players. I think some of the best 2+2 posters are right here, and most of the rest drop in from time to time. So, ive thought about it, and have come up with a few ideas. Let me know what you think.

1) I think clark hit the dirty prostitute on the genital wart when he said that we are posting too many hands. Alot of these are situations that usually come up every day for alot of the full-time multi-tablers, but not so much for the new folk and the less addicted. Most of these resolve around playing whiffed overcards on a flop into a field, or slowplaying something, or whatnot. I know a lot of people use the "favorite threads" option to keep track of some of these, and would ask that you send me a link. Im working on getting webspace somewhere (i have a cable modem through time warner, so it should come with my expensive monthly bill) and creating a page that organizes these threads by subject, so that we arent always repeating oursleves, and so that the best advice gets remembered and passed down.

Im not trying to take away from the favorite threads links started by berg and illunious, as those are either indepth discussions of very specific and usually advanced mechanics of the game, or humorous 2+2 miscellania. Also, i know this will work about as well as the stickied faq, but anything is a step, right? If the discussion seems to imply this would be worth the effort, i will create a new 2+2 account to handle all the submissions and pms and what not.

2) I think the message-board format of our discussion is usefull, in that it gives someone time to go over their ideas and improve/correct as neccesary. It can also hinder it though due to the less spontaneous nature of the debate. I would like to create an mirc discussion group composed of respected 2+2 posters. The format would be something along the lines of one a week or so, 8-10 poker genuises would submit hands to the group, and the group would then discuss three or four of them on irc for a while. It would be a +m room, but i would intercept questions from anyone watching and pose them to the group. The goal would be to provide insight into the thinking of an advanced poker player, with a maximum amount of actual discussion occuring. The likely best way to do this would be to have members send their hands to me, i would send them all to the group, and then a couple of days later post them to 2+2 so that forum members could pm me questions to pose to the group. I would then take the IRC log, convert it into some sort of readable transcrip, and post it on 2+2.

I see two main problems. First, time and availability. We all, or at least most of you, lead busy lives filled with multiple exiciting things, im sure. However, if we could get a group of at least 5 or so to commit a couple of weeks in advance i think we could pick a specific time that would work for most everyone. This would be best if we could create almost a rotating group of several individuals who could commit to participating at least once a month, so that we could always have discussion going on.

The other problem is a percieved elitism. I can see some not liking the format of the discussion, and claiming that they are excluded from blah blah blah. I wouldnt care. Poker is a game of the elite, with the best players coming not to teach or learn, but to take our money. If we can convince some of these people to instead show us how to take the money of others, all the better for us. For the record, i would not be taking part of the discussions *except* to pose the 2+2 submitted questions. I have self-esteem issues.

Let discussion ensue.

3) Finally, i think one of the most prevalent problems ive seen on these boards since ive joined is the issue of reads in online poker. No one uses them, everyone relies on pokertracker, and what does 57/35/5.7 mean anyway, and do i really care if im playing 8 tables at a time. Solution: Lets create a post flop play group (PFPG) For around one hour, possibly two, each week, we will play only one table. PT notes and other program enhancers are allowed. However, post flop notes dealing with specific plays are REQUIRED. At the end of the session, we would go back through, and pick a hand or two where those post flop notes changed our play, and hopefully made us money. We could then discuss these hands on irc, or post in digest form here. Obviously for those that already do this, they will be amzed that this is a radical notion. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Its not much, but i would like ot improve the quality of discussion here, and since im still learning, i think these may help. What do YOU think? Feel free to pm me with any ideas of your own or with naked pictures of hot chicks.

peace

john nickle
Old 02-21-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Lets improve this forum!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
You are ignoring this user.

[/ QUOTE ]

just kidding, good post. Elitism rocks now that I'm Carpal Tunnel. w00t!
Old 02-21-2005, 11:23 PM

good post, and ya I can barely keep up with the speed of the posting in this forum.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:51 PM

It's fairly easy to spot hand questions. Title is Should I cap With K7 Offsuit in Mid Position or something stupid like that. If I don't feel like reading them I won't.

Dividing into hands vs. calling stations and hands vs. maniacs is probably more useful than small stakes vs. large stakes. Because they play very different. I'm not sure how to accomplish that.

People need to be aware of who the experts are and when some hobbyist like me is be-essing around. Take all posts with a grain of salt and think about the problem for yourself. There are folks like Mike Davis and others who seems very knowledgable and understand small stakes who I give more credence than others. I'm not sure just having a bunch of poker experts chew the fat is more helpful than having amateurs add comments. It might be useful to identify the ten best poker commentators here in case people don't know who they are.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:06 AM

i don't get it.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Actually, I kinda don't.

Adam
Old 02-22-2005, 01:07 AM

I don't think the problem is as big as it's being made out to be. People just need to post less hands.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:34 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing SS split into two sub forums.. or rather, have a new forum added:

old SS, for the inevitable stat posts, routine and quick hit hands.. something like 90% of the posts

SS - advanced, for (yeah, the hard part) self-policed hands or content that someone feels is worthy of a lengthy discussion.. maybe 10% of the posts currently in SS

addendum:
alternatively, we should come up with some more conventions ala the (no content) convention to identify the content better.. something like:

(QH) - quick hit - probably a routine hand, i need help tho. once a couple people agree, i don't mind if my topic dies.

(ADV) - advanced topic - read this hand guys. very extraordinary situation. i think we should discuss this one in depth.

or hell, even a priority scheme:
1 - advanced (PR1 in topic title)
2 - difficult
3 - typical
4 - quick hit
5 - no content (PR5)

these identifiers would allow people to search any PR1 or PR2 topics they may have missed the other day/week whatever.

just some random thoughts.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:31 AM

This was really long and I only got about halfway through it, but there is already an IRC room, and people use pokerhand.org to post their HHs.

IRC gets overrun even faster than a message board, though. It only takes one guy who keeps posting stupid stuff to ruin the room.

scrub
Old 02-22-2005, 06:42 AM

I dont think adding another channel just for posting/discussing hands would hurt.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think adding another channel just for posting/discussing hands would hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably right, but I doubt that many of the stronger players who currently spend time on IRC would ever go to it.

scrub