Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 12:32 AM

Default I hate this situation...how should it be played

Ok, I always dread the situation in MTTs when I see the flop from the SB and flop top pair, either with a shitty kicker or a good kicker on a coordinated board. This hand happened yesterday in the Party $20+2. Sorry, the actual HH is not available, but I remember the hand well.

I am in SB with ATo. This is the second or third blind level, so blinds are 10/20 or 15/30, I forget which one. Anyway, 4 people limp, I complete and BB checks. The flop comes 69T, two suited. Now, I really hate this flop, especially being first to act. I decide to check and see what happens behind me, possibly planning to raise. And so, it goes 3 checks, a bet of T125, a fold, and a call by the button. Now, I am hating this even more. I am about to fold, but my friend who is watching me, and typically very good at tournaments tells me that I should push here or make a huge raise to get the draws out and likely take it down right there.

I thought that this wasn't the best time to push because the pot post flop wasn't that big and with a bet of T125 and a call, and 2 people to act behind me, this is really basically risking a lot to not win that much. There were too many hands that were made that could be ahead of me and a lot of strong draws. This is why I wanted to fold, and I really don't mind giving up the hand here, but this time I decide to take my friend's advice and I move all in for approximately T1500.

What are your takes on this play? Was I correct to just have folded the hand and not risked so much there or should I have just raised to less than all in? Thanks in advance and I'll post the results later.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:07 AM

Default Re: I hate this situation...how should it be played

Ok, I'll bump this once in hope of some responces...
Old 03-28-2005, 03:16 AM

Bet a huge bet (maybe 1,3 times pot) directly.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:08 AM

I think this isnt getting a lot of responses because its a miserably difficult flop to play. I am inclined to bet out here and not check. I don't like the checkraise on a flop with more than 1 obvious draw, because it will build a very big pot on the flop while you are playing the rest of the hand out of position never knowing if the villain hit his card. If I'm called in more than 1 spot I'm probably done betting my hand, although if the turn checks through I might call a small river bet depending on the cards that come. If I'm called in 1 spot I'll bet about half the pot on pretty much any turn, and again shut down to any action. Basically I'm trying to keep the pot small while I'm out of position, and praying that my opponent plays passively. I don't particularly like the line, but I can't think of any line I do like. Its an interesting hand.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:24 AM

I dont like this play. Unless you had the Ace of the two suited cards. Even then I dont like it much. You dont have that much.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:53 AM

IMO, if you're going to play A10 os out of position against limpers, a raise preflop should be in order. Then, on the flop, you can bet the pot and take it down. If you're going to complete pre-flop, pushing makes no sense. Only hands that are way ahead of you will call. Since no raise pre-flop, I would bet a 2/3 pot-size bet.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:33 AM

I think you have the best hand here because AK or big pairs would probably have raised PF. I would led on the flop with TPTK and charge the possible flush or straight draws. Your opponents' response would give you a better gauge where you stand for your next action. By checking, you really put yourself in a tough situation where I would not know how to respond because i would not have put myself in that position in the first place. Hopefully it worked out for you.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Only hands that are way ahead of you will call.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true, but in this case, there was already a bet and a call of T125 each so even if they all fold, as I hoped they would, I would have taken down a decent sized pot.

[ QUOTE ]
you really put yourself in a tough situation where I would not know how to respond because i would not have put myself in that position in the first place

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone I'm sure is right that a lead bet was in order, but I just hated the fact that I'm out of position. This isn't as easy as betting on the button and if called, betting on the turn and folding to a raise. A good hand might not raise on the turn and would possibly force you to check fold, or risk losing a lot of chips. As for seeing the flop with ATo in the SB with 4 limpers, I really don't see the fault here. I mean, I could be wrong, but I think that getting 12-1 immediate pot odds plus implied odds from the SB is pretty good.

[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully it worked out for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

The flop bettor called and turned over 78 for the flopped nuts. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for seeing the flop with ATo in the SB with 4 limpers, I really don't see the fault here. I mean, I could be wrong, but I think that getting 12-1 immediate pot odds plus implied odds from the SB is pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see raising, but there's certainly nothing wrong with just completing the SB with 72o if you play well post-flop IMHO. If you don't play well post-flop, complete anyway so you can learn.

Later,
Che
Old 03-28-2005, 03:28 PM

See, I put the button on that [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

The reason why I fold or *maybe* just call and see what they do on the turn (and very rarely CR to 400 and fold to a 3 bet) is because T96 and T62 are very different flops.