Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 11:54 PM

Default Re: Where to restart?

[ QUOTE ]
-20 to 30 buyins isn't even close to an adequate bankroll
(Bones; you should know better)

[/ QUOTE ]

My 30 buyin downswing comment wasn't suggesting that 30 was adequate, just that everyone I know has experienced at least that. I've dropped 40 and there's absolutely no way I'd play with less than 75 at any time. But if I posted #s like that, the OP would simply laugh off my comments, because clearly he has no clue about normal variance in poker.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-20 to 30 buyins isn't even close to an adequate bankroll
(Bones; you should know better)

[/ QUOTE ]

My 30 buyin downswing comment wasn't suggesting that 30 was adequate, just that everyone I know has experienced at least that. I've dropped 40 and there's absolutely no way I'd play with less than 75 at any time. But if I posted #s like that, the OP would simply laugh off my comments, because clearly he has no clue about normal variance in poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Anything less then 75 is gambooling. After losing 20-25 you should drop down until you have 75 again so that you never have less then 50 buyins at a given level.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:29 AM

Here's me: "Holy crap, I got a reply from SkipperBob!"
"dohhhhhh"

You scare me.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:36 AM

Thanks everyone for the insight and taking the time. I'll let you know how it's going. Even if, I mean when, I have to eat my own poop. I do have some natural talent at this believe it or not. We'll see where I'm at in a 6 mos/year.

thx again,
Matt
Old 12-14-2005, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We'll see where I'm at in a 6 mos/year.

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is: pawning your mom's jewelry.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do have some natural talent at this believe it or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

read a bio of stu ungar and see where natural talent without discipline will get you.

Will
Old 12-14-2005, 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I do have some natural talent at this believe it or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

read a bio of stu ungar and see where natural talent without discipline will get you.

Will

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. You wanna know where to start over? Because you lack discipline you should start at the 11s. With 50 buyins. Play 1000 of them. This will teach you more about sng's and poker than just how to play sng's and poker. And you need to know this stuff if you ever plan on playing for a living.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:44 AM

For personal reasons, I had to take out 9/10's of my bankroll and restart with only $3k. In order to accomodate this, I had to drop down levels to the $50's, which I haven't played in almost a year. In an unfortunate downswing my bankroll almost hit $1500, at which point I would have dropped down to the $30's.

There is no excuse, EVER, for losing your bankroll from variance in poker. You should never be playing at a level you don't have more than 30 buy ins for. I don't care about the run of beats or anything like that, with proper bankroll management and dropping down it should be statistically impossible for you to go broke if you are a winning player (Note: this is impossible with the lowest buy in of course or for a winning player by an incredibly small margin, but you get my point).

Bankroll management is a skill like any other in poker, and one that can be incredibly detrimental to your game if taken lightly. Do not underestimate it, or believe you can "cheat luck" by playing underbankrolled, that's the same thing as being a donk and calling with your inside straight draw because you might get away with it.

It's just bad poker.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My guess is: pawning your mom's jewelry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently this is a lot of fun for some of you, and I hate to take away. But I do have a 6-figure day job, a side client, and a skill I can fall back on for contract work anytime I want. IE - poker aint the only stream coming in. Some of the posters seem to get that, most ignore it entirely. I think this puts me in a slightly different position, as far as risk tolerance, than say a 19 year old with no other income or skills. Risk tolerance is a pretty personal thing that only the individual in question is really equipped to assess.

Do I lack discipline and is that a concern to me? Yes. But there's more than one way to skin a cat. IMO anyway. Like I said I'm not too worried about going broke. You guys can have fun with it all you want.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:23 PM

I also earn a healthy salary at my job, but if I want to do something, it's got to be done properly. Playing a game with 20 buy-ins does not come under that banner for me. But hey, it's your money at the end of the day.