Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2003, 06:50 PM

Default Hard Luck on the slow play.

Hello All,

I was just in a hand that bears reporting. I was the bring in with nothing but a three up. Everyone folds but one wild player who has been raising and bluffing a lot and losing tons. He flat calls with an ace up. Fourth street lays blanks for both of us. Fifth street an apparent blank for him, off suit jack. I get a second three. Sixth steet...wow I catch a thrid three and he catches another blank. I bet my trip threes showing expecting an immediate fold. He's wild, but with trips on the board, how could he call, but he does. Then the miracle card hits me on the river--The case three. I bet. He raises. Naturally, I reraise. He caps it. Proudly he turns over aces full of jacks. Silly really, but this is what happens when one slow plays badly.

Cheers everyone!!
Old 08-28-2003, 08:30 PM

Default Re: Hard Luck on the slow play.

[ QUOTE ]
Silly really, but this is what happens when one slow plays badly.

[/ QUOTE ]

In your opinion, where did the bad play occur?
Old 08-28-2003, 09:45 PM

In my opinion, the bad decision was trying to be too greedy with a great hand and letting too many free cards come to me, thus turning the best hand into a big loser. What was wrong about betting open trip threes on sixth street??
Old 08-28-2003, 10:51 PM

He had rolled up aces.
You had a three showing.
Put yourself in his shoes. Do you just happily rake in the antes by raising 3rd street with your trip aces? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2003, 11:03 PM

It's always better to win a small pot now, then lose a big pot later.

Cheers.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:01 AM

It's always better to win a small pot now, then lose a big pot later.

No other possible outcomes there? The idea in poker is to maximize your expected value(EV). In order to do that, you have to take into acount all possible outcomes and their probabilities of occuring.

You said he slowed played badly, and now it seems you just believe slow playing is bad play. Some of us believe slow playing has merit because we believe all the extra bets you win over time by slowplaying add up to more bets than the one pot you lose when your opponent gets a miracle card. It's a question of long run profit versus short term gain. It's much the same principle as staying for a flush draw if the pot is offering you the right odds. You're going to lose the hand more times then not, but in the long run you will maximize your profits because when you do win, the amount you win will more than make up for the bets you lose when you miss.

Based on sam h's choices, I would say A and D. If the opponent was rolled up with Aces, I think the mistake was not trying to win the pot when PP paired his door card. The risk of trip 3's and then making a pair for a full house is certainly there, and may negate the conditions for a slow play--namely what your opponent is drawing to is likely to make a second best hand. I think the play D was wrong too: at that point a raise wasn't likely to make PP fold, and why not get more money in the pot when you're ahead.

Of course, the opponent could have been slow playing a pair of Aces, and then when PP paired his door card, he suddenly found himself in somewhat of a predicament, and therefore just decided to check and call and wait to see what developed. Then when he caught an Ace on the end, he went ahead and raised.

Old 08-29-2003, 08:45 AM

i cant even begin to tell you what is wrong with that mode of thinking. but you have tofocus on making money rather than focusing on avoiding a loss. the slowplay with rolled aces is absolutely the right play, and i would do it 100 times out of 100. now if i could only get rolled up aces 100 times. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pat
Old 08-28-2003, 09:01 PM

Default Which is the worst decision here?

A. Rolled up aces checking fifth?

B. Aces full capping seventh?

C. PP betting sixth?

D. Three aces calling sixth?

I think it might be C.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:02 AM

When a maniac limps with an Ace in the door, warning sirens should sound. When he checks heads-up against a non-threatening board on fourth street, it should be confirmed that he has rolled-up Aces. I think you made a bad bet when you hit trip Treys on sixth. I don't necessarily agree with his slow-play (because it's so obvious--except, apparently, to you), but his play was probably better than yours.