Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 12-30-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Study program?

I have been playing for a bit, way over my head (I have more money then knowledge or ability), and have not really "studied" yet but for playing. I have bought a ton of poker books, and read few to none... Sad I know. Well, I'm intending to get serious, and curious what books you guys would recommend for a serious study program. Importantly I'm really interested in the ORDER to read these books as again I've bought most of them, but I use my confusion as to where to start as an excuse to thumb through them all repeatedly but read none... After you all help me I'll be out of excuses [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Thanks!

I should mention that I'm playing both cash games and tourneys, but risking (and losing) a lot more in the cash game I'm in, so I'd love suggestions for both, but cash should probably come first.

If someone can point me to an old post that covered this that would be great too (though many don't cover the order to read them in which is crucial to me).

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Study program?

Limit? No-Limit? Hold'em? Stud? What?
What books do you have?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:51 PM

Sorry, I thought NL was implied, my bad. I'm playing in some tourneys on-line ($100 or $200 sit and goes, 9 or 6 handed), but risking much more money in a cash $25/$50 game that's way over my head (but it's all friends so I'm kind of committed). So I guess it's defintely NL, with both cash and tourneys relevant, but cash especially so. Does that help?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:51 PM

I would always start with the Theory of Poker by Sklansky, since it teaches you all the basics of the game.

From there on it depends on what type of game you want to play. Iīm just starting to play low-limit HE and Millerīs Small Stakes Holdīem really helped me a lot.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:54 PM

Thanks!

I'm playing only NL in some tourneys on-line ($100 or $200 sit and goes, 9 or 6 handed), but risking much more money in a cash $25/$50 game that's way over my head (but it's all friends so I'm kind of committed). So I guess both cash and tourneys are relevant, but cash especially so.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:00 PM

Theory of Poker
Pot-Limit and No-Limit Poker
Harrington on Hold'em 1&2
Phil Gordon's Little Green Book
Kill Phil
Tournament Poker for Advanced Players
Old 12-30-2005, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
risking much more money in a cash $25/$50 game that's way over my head (but it's all friends so I'm kind of committed).

[/ QUOTE ]

You're playing no limit with $25/50 blinds as a beginner? I guess you really do have deep pockets.

For no limit cash and tourney I would recommend the following in order:

1) HoH1
2) HoH2
3) Pot Limit and No Limit Poker
4) Theory of Poker

You could also start with Little Green Book. If you like examples start with HoH, if you like essays then maybe Little Green Book.

I think Theory of Poker is best left to after the basics have sunk in a bit. You could just read it through once before starting on the others and then go back and read it in depth carefully when you're done with the others.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:06 PM

Interesting. One of my questions was Theory of Poker vs. Tournament Poker for Advanced Players (which to read first), but you are pretty clear!

I don't know what Kill Phil is but it sounds different...

Thanks, very helpful.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:09 PM

Interesting, already getting disagreements. Some others put Theory of Poker first, but you make your reasons pretty clear.

You think HOH1 and HOH2 even if cash games are my 70/30 focus?

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2005, 09:14 PM

Theory of Poker is the most important poker related book you'll probably ever read. It's widely regarded as the best poker book there is today.