Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-24-2005, 05:01 PM

Default AK suited $5.50 UB

Is this good aggressive play, pushing what might be a small edge, or stupid chip spewing.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed) converter

UTG (t3460)
MP (t5075)
Button (t2570)
SB (t1110)
Hero (t2785)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t150.

Flop: (t675) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t675</font>, MP calls t675.

Turn: (t2025) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1810 (All-In
Old 11-24-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: AK suited $5.50 UB

I would have checked the turn and play it from there. I think your getting called here but villan may check behind being scared of the check-raise.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:01 PM

Reraise PF! Bet a bit less on the flop. I'm not sure what to do on the turn, but going all in can't be good?
Old 11-24-2005, 06:38 PM

I'd probably push this pre-flop. You're hand is very strong here and MP could be raising a large range of hands here. Just calling, you are playing this hand out of position and pushing will eliminate the positional factor.

As for the flop, I'm either folding or pushing. I'd lean toward pushing here, as you have likely 15 outs with your flush draw and two overs. Pushing will insure that you get to see both the turn and the river.a
Old 11-24-2005, 07:13 PM

definately push pre flop!, its almost bubble take this down
Old 11-24-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
definately push pre flop!, its almost bubble take this down

[/ QUOTE ]

What does almost being at the bubble have to do with it? Shouldn't he be basing his decision more on his stack size compared to the blinds at this point? 5-hand could last quite some time here with the depth of the stack sizes and he has more than 18xBB.

I too said push this, but it was based on the fact that there was already t525 in the pot and I think you can push this guy off his raise a lot here and eliminate the fact that you're out of position.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:34 PM

I call this raise with AK suited often (with the stack sizes as they are). I don't like pushing into the big stack without a made hand and this is a hand I try to see a cheap flop with. If I miss my hand I can still get away from it, if I make my hand I can check raise this all in EVERY time at this level. Every preflop raiser will continuation bet to my check, without ever putting me on this big of a hand. If I whiff on the flop, I feel I still have a very chance at cashing. I hate busting out with AK to a pair of dueces. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I think my play on the flop and turn was less than optimal.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I call this raise with AK suited often (with the stack sizes as they are). I don't like pushing into the big stack without a made hand and this is a hand I try to see a cheap flop with. If I miss my hand I can still get away from it, if I make my hand I can check raise this all in EVERY time at this level. Every preflop raiser will continuation bet to my check, without ever putting me on this big of a hand. If I whiff on the flop, I feel I still have a very chance at cashing. I hate busting out with AK to a pair of dueces. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I think my play on the flop and turn was less than optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you whiffed the flop and now you have over 1/3 of your stack in the middle post-flop. Seems, like you were more committed to this AKs then your post above says.

Also, you did end up pushing into the a guy that has you covered here, however you waited until he told you he had a hand twice, once preflop and once with his call post-flop.

I stand by my earlier advice of pushing pre-flop. &gt;t500 is a nice pot for you to pick up here without seeing a flop.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:52 PM

Check-raise flop all-in. Easy.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:03 PM

Ignoring preflop (I think both calling and reraising are fine), I am checking this flop 100% of the time into the preflop raiser so I can check raise allin.