Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-12-2005, 04:21 AM

Default Re: have freind with drug problem... it\'s really scaring me. help? in

[ QUOTE ]
You are wrong. At least in major cities that is not how it works (I have no idea how it works in Mayberry). What makes you think police know how to deal with addicts? They know how to deal with them at the time, but not once they are sober. It isn't their job to help addicts recover.

Also, most cities, once you are sober you are out. Now, like I said, after the 3rd or 4th time, they might keep you in jail for a few weeks, but even then, what will that do.

Also, why do you equate "beating sense into her" and "police know how to deal with addicts"?

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

i dunno i assume they know how to deal with them because they deal with them a lot. suppose that might not be true. i agree it isn't the cops job to clean them up, but i'm pretty sure they have to report these people to detox places, and they do have to pass some classes as part of their punishment (at least that is the case in my town [eugene, OR just for note]).
Old 12-12-2005, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are wrong. At least in major cities that is not how it works (I have no idea how it works in Mayberry). What makes you think police know how to deal with addicts? They know how to deal with them at the time, but not once they are sober. It isn't their job to help addicts recover.

Also, most cities, once you are sober you are out. Now, like I said, after the 3rd or 4th time, they might keep you in jail for a few weeks, but even then, what will that do.

Also, why do you equate "beating sense into her" and "police know how to deal with addicts"?

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

i dunno i assume they know how to deal with them because they deal with them a lot. suppose that might not be true. i agree it isn't the cops job to clean them up, but i'm pretty sure they have to report these people to detox places, and they do have to pass some classes as part of their punishment (at least that is the case in my town [eugene, OR just for note]).

[/ QUOTE ]

Forcing people to stay "clean" does not fix the problem. How long can/will they do this for? The rear of death isn't big enough to stop somebody, so why would the fear of a few months in jail (except for the fact that they won't be able to use in jail).

Police might be trained to handle somebody that is high at the moment, but they aren't counselors. Forcing somebody to get help is not going to work. The person has to want to go clean. Maybe, they should buy here 10 8-balls and make her do them all. I am joking, but these techniques that naive parents think will work usually don't.

Also, isn't Oregon one of the biggest meth states in the U.S? I guess the police aren't doing the greatest job.

craig
Old 12-12-2005, 04:29 AM

Thanks to all the serious responses. a quickie reply:

-not gonna call the cops unles i think she's in imminent danger.

- [ QUOTE ]
The problem with this is that "bottom" is very subjective. Some people can start noticing that they are spending too much money and decide to quit, while others are on the streets, no teeth, and sucking cck, and still think it could be worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo. lost job, freinds, savings, home, etc is bad... but sucking dick for drugs is worse... then there's death. she is low enough, imo, on the edge; at a fork in the road, one path leading onward, the other going nowhere or worse. *sighs*

for me rock bottom wasn't all that low, thanks to some very good freinds and an even more powerful addiction taking over (sking- crack and heroin all rolled into one for me). i want to be that freind, but don't know how.

anyone ever been present at an intervention?
Old 12-12-2005, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Forcing people to stay "clean" does not fix the problem. How long can/will they do this for? The rear of death isn't big enough to stop somebody, so why would the fear of a few months in jail (except for the fact that they won't be able to use in jail).

Police might be trained to handle somebody that is high at the moment, but they aren't counselors. Forcing somebody to get help is not going to work. The person has to want to go clean. Maybe, they should buy here 10 8-balls and make her do them all. I am joking, but these techniques that naive parents think will work usually don't.

Also, isn't Oregon one of the biggest meth states in the U.S? I guess the police aren't doing the greatest job.

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

are you so sure that your first statement is correct?
also yes oregon has a very large meth problem, but that could very well be because nobodys getting arrested. that is the fault of the cops, but it doesn't appear relevant to our conversation until we see some stats that many of these people were arrested and then went back to the drug.

Good point about not calling the police on your friend. If you do that one time, your friend is finished with you. And most junkies don't trust others as it is.

craig

[ QUOTE ]
Forcing people to stay "clean" does not fix the problem. How long can/will they do this for?

[/ QUOTE ]

learning to totally avoid the substances that cause problems for a person is just running away, IMO. learning how to drink/use responsibly is the HARD part... some people cannot, though. it's complicated.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Good point about not calling the police on your friend. If you do that one time, your friend is finished with you. And most junkies don't trust others as it is.

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd rather lose a freind and save a life than watch a freind die, though... still not calling the fuzz.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone ever been present at an intervention?

[/ QUOTE ]

i almost saw one on seinfeld, but they don't show you that part of the plot on screen.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not sure maintaining your friendship should be priority number one, if you are a true friend.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Forcing people to stay "clean" does not fix the problem. How long can/will they do this for?

[/ QUOTE ]

learning to totally avoid the substances that cause problems for a person is just running away, IMO. learning how to drink/use responsibly is the HARD part... some people cannot, though. it's complicated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard a different definition/explanation of finding out if you are an addict (of any kind) the other day: If you have to set limits for yourself, you are most likely an addict. For example, if you tell yourself, "I will only buy a pack of smokes instead of a carton, then I will smoke less", you are most likely addicted. I could have 10 pounds of pot in my house and I wouldn't even think about it. I wouldn't have to put any type of "limit" on myself. If you put those same pounds of cocaine in my house, well, wow.....

craig