Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 12-15-2005, 07:49 PM

Default Will I notice a difference (poker wise) going from cable to DSL?

Sorry for the newb question, but I just learned that the nice luxury apartments I am moving into only lets me use SBC DSL. I've only used Roadrunner cable before, and was wondering if I will notice any difference in playing/Pokertracker etc. Thanks
Old 12-15-2005, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Will I notice a difference (poker wise) going from cable to DSL?

You shouldn't. Generally DSL is less bandwidth than cable but that only affects downloads. It is still digital.

Only "lets" you use? Whats up with that?
Old 12-15-2005, 07:57 PM

Some DSL companies offer speeds comparable to cable also. I played on Verizon 768/128 line for a few months with no problems, besides the fact if my computer was inactive for hours, I would have to restart it to re-establish the internet connection, where as with cable Ive never had to do that.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:28 PM

You can always do a speed test on your web browser.

dsl speed test

DSL is obvious a tier slower than cable, but in the general sense, its just as good as cable. Plus you will probably save $20 a month, just by having DSL if you got a good contract. Overall, you should hardly notice any difference on your DSL line.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:02 PM

Yeah, they only have services provided by Southwestern Bell Comm.. So I get DSL instead of cable and Dish instead of Time Warner. I can go down to the clubhouse and schedule a freaking massage and then use the tanning bed, yet I can't get roadrunner internet. The other crap SBC lady was telling me was that the complex has a large dish which we would get our programming through and that we wouldn't have HD or DVR!! WTF?? I have a south facing balcony, so somehow I should be able to get my own dish on there hopefully. Anyways, it's good to here at least the internet won't be a problem. Thanks