Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Preflop with AK at final table in PS 20 table SNG

Haven't played many MTT, mainly 2 table SNGs, but have been giving these 20 table deals a shot. Played in like 15, with a couple ITMs, but no final tables. Last night, the poker gods were good early and I doubled up twice on first orbit.

Down to final table with big stack LAG to my right. Everyone else seems pretty tight. What is my move here preflop?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t2000 (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

CO (t10775)
Button (t61216)
SB (t22570)
BB (t13329)
UTG (t6335)
UTG+1 (t7696)
MP1 (t107549)
Hero (t40530)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t6235</font>, UTG+1 calls t6235, MP1 calls t6235, <font color="#CC3333"> Hero ????
Old 11-30-2005, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Preflop with AK at final table in PS 20 table SNG

Given your reads, i would say UTG+1 probably has AA/KK as he has just called off 80% of his stack looking for more action. I would probably fold as you still have 20 BB, and wait for a better opportunity.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:27 PM

I push. UTG+1's range is only slightly tighter than UTG. The flat call means very little to me. He didn't have the stack to isolate wether he wanted or not.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I push. UTG+1's range is only slightly tighter than UTG. The flat call means very little to me. He didn't have the stack to isolate wether he wanted or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. i'm not playing guessing games about whether that means AT or AA. i push.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:05 PM

Anyone have any thoughts on the call by MP1? I really didn't know what to make of that at the time. Doesn't appear to be strong due to lack of raise, right?
Old 11-30-2005, 01:41 PM

I think it's a close call between raising it to 25,000 or moving in. Moving in often will maximize your FE, but the one downside is that many players will simply assume you have AK and look you up with something like a mid. PP - and they would be correct to do so given the dead money. The raise to 25,000 makes it far more likely, to some, that you have a hand like AA-QQ. Given your stack size, it also means that you can be forced out of the pot on the flop since you will be moving all-in no matter what falls.

My decision would be based on whether the 25,000 chip raise will be perceived as more threatening. I don't like calling here because the chances that all will fold are too great and you'll scoop a really nice pot.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:05 PM

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I see this as a pretty easy fold. Too much action for AK. Although It would really depend on my read of MP1. I think hes got a small PP and looking for a cheap showdown to knock 2 players out. Is MP1 the type that can find a fold PF?

Pushing your stack in w/AK does yo no good if big stack LAG can't fold a hand. His 66 is in good shape if both short stacks are holding a good chunk of your outs!
Old 11-30-2005, 02:08 PM

I gamble and try to win this tournament. This is the big hand you need to accumulate a big pile of chips. Gotta get lucky to win a tournament and by making this play you either get everyone to fold or try to win a big coinflip.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:11 PM

As for read on MP1. We just got down to 1 table, but I was keeping my eye on the other table when we were down to 2. He seemed to be in every pot and was just betting every flop to push people out. Once he got called and had showed K3 (a hand he had raised from EP and bet a flop of 4TJ). He had folded a couple other times when I raised or re-raised pots, so I figured he would do it again. Of course, he always said he had a "hand" and was making a tough fold, whatever that means. Personally, I viewed it as another 6235 for the taking, because I couldn't imagine him calling my push if he didn't raise himself. He later said he had 99 - whether or not I believe it is another story.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's a close call between raising it to 25,000 or moving in. Moving in often will maximize your FE, but the one downside is that many players will simply assume you have AK and look you up with something like a mid. PP - and they would be correct to do so given the dead money. The raise to 25,000 makes it far more likely, to some, that you have a hand like AA-QQ. Given your stack size, it also means that you can be forced out of the pot on the flop since you will be moving all-in no matter what falls.

My decision would be based on whether the 25,000 chip raise will be perceived as more threatening. I don't like calling here because the chances that all will fold are too great and you'll scoop a really nice pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh???
Look at the chip stacks:
UTG (t6335)
UTG+1 (t7696)

UTG is all in and UTG+1 is getting obscene odds on calling for his last 1500 chips, furthermore if you don't raise preflop these chips are going in on the flop regardless. UTG+1 can't even post the full BB if he folds. Neither of them is folding this hand PERIOD.

Therefore the question is do you want to play this by yourself vs 2 opps or have some help. If you raise any amount I think you will fold everyone who has 2 brain cells that has not acted yet. Even AA vs 3 opponents is not a lock hand and losing will cripple the big stack. If you call the big stack should call with almost any 2 (he is gettign 5:1 on his money with 5k to call into a 25k pot) and should check it down to the end. IMHO this is the result that you want. By eliminating 2 players you move up from $90 to $180 (correct me if I am wrong on the amounts the concept will still hold true). By inviting the big stack into the hand you do reduce your ECV but maximize your E$V. Besides, if you call you should feel comfortable playing this hand postflop if the big stack decides to make a play for the pot because you will have position. However, the big stack is making a huge mistake making a play for the pot because even if he chases you out he still must beat the other 2 hands and has 0 FE. In addition he will be putting chips at risk into a side pot that currently has no other chips in it. By the same token you should be prepared to check it down even if you flop TPTK because combined you have more outs if you are behind. This form of collusion is very important in the last table of tourneys especially at the end as you are trying to move up and the dollar amounts increase very rapidly.

Given that the right move is obviously to call and check it through then I think any discussion of what UTG and UTG+1 have is irrelevant but for my money I expect them to make this move with any ace, PP, or even suited king. I had a similar hand last night and I ended up calling with A J vs k 5 and 4 4. I suspect he is in a similar situation here.