Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

View Poll Results: J9s
Fold 23 88.46%
Call 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2005, 01:35 AM

Default Re: The Best Player in the NBA is . . .

[ QUOTE ]
I think that within a year or two Lebron James will be considered the best in the league. The guy is unbelievably skilled, but he needs time to learn how to play D

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 12-28-2005, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think that within a year or two Lebron James will be considered the best in the league. The guy is unbelievably skilled, but he needs time to learn how to play D

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you even watch the NBA? Suggesting LBJ doesn't play D is pretty ridiculous.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree his overall defensive game isn't where it needs to be. But even if he only becomes an abovve average all around defensive player and maintains his very high steals rate he will be the best in the league simply because the rest of his game is so advanced. Provided his production massively outweighs what he gives up -- which is already the case -- he will have to be considered one of the best -- if not the best -- players in the league.

Roland Ratings
Old 12-28-2005, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your statement is ridiculous. I would lay odds that no one who posts here has seen Lebron play more than I have (I went to high school at Akron Hoban, St V was our rival.) LB was a great defensive player in high school, but that is like saying that Chip Reece would do well in a 4/8 limit holdem game. Lebron has a keen eye for the passing lane which enables him to make many steals that others are not capable of, but the fact of the matter is that LBJ is currently an average NBA defender. This will change with time, but how much so will ultimately determine how he ranks up with MJ imo.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your statement is ridiculous. I would lay odds that no one who posts here has seen Lebron play more than I have (I went to high school at Akron Hoban, St V was our rival.) LB was a great defensive player in high school, but that is like saying that Chip Reece would do well in a 4/8 limit holdem game. Lebron has a keen eye for the passing lane which enables him to make many steals that others are not capable of, but the fact of the matter is that LBJ is currently an average NBA defender. This will change with time, but how much so will ultimately determine how he ranks up with MJ imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a big difference between "needs to learn how to play D" and "oustanding passing lane defender while being otherwise average at defense". I got the impression from your initial post that you thought he was a *bad* defender.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not Garnett. Duncan plays the same position, and is much better.

Should be Kevin Arnett, no G in his game.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't confuse the talent of the other 11players with the talent of those 2, Duncan may be better it is definetly not a "way better" situation

Garnett is winning titles with SA, all other things equal, and Duncan is titleless in MN over the same span
Old 12-28-2005, 05:00 AM

Might as well make it a poll with this much opinion in this thread.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:06 AM

I went with Lebron, not biased :-P.

I also think Elton Brand deserves consideration, he may be Top 5.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:50 AM

Lebron's D is pretty bad. He gets breakaway steals when he gambles, but that's about it. He just doesn't try hard enough. He gets lost when his man runs him through screens and he loses sight of his man and/or the ball pretty easily. I've seen two games where he actually tried to play defense for more than a couple minutes and he just locked his man up. Even if he were an "average" NBA defender, considering his freakish athleticism that's not saying much.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:32 AM

if dirk could play defense....