Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em

Old 12-27-2005, 09:04 PM

Default New success?

New to poker and twoplustwo. I just recently switched from SNG to cash tables and have had a lot more success. Would you attribute this to a swing in luck or perhaps that cash games are better suited for my game? Also, everyone gives tips on when you're at a low, well how bout some tips on how to keep my high on a roll.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:16 PM

Default Re: New success?

Welcome to 2+2 and all, but your question is
vague, generalized and impossible to answer
without knowing your game, level of experience,
winrate, etc.

Be specific and post examples to get quality
feedback. Poker is a horrible game to try
and solve with blanket, generalized advice.

-ZEN
Old 12-27-2005, 09:27 PM

Well I don't keep track of my stats the way you guy's do on here but for some very general information I deposited 20 bucks two days ago and today i'm upwards of 170 or so. I play at the .10/.25 tables on bodog. Stats at the bottom say i'm playing 32% of hands and winning 40% of the flops that I see. There is a "Your Actions" category that says this:
Fold 44% Check 19% Call 18% Bet 9% Raise 7% and Reraise 1%.

There is also a "When you Fold" category that says this: Preflop 64% Flop 8% Turn 3% River 2% and No fold 23%.

I also show 49% on showdowns won, and I imagine that is a pretty low pretty low number for a winning player. Also it says that I am winning 17% of hands dealt, and i usually play on tables with 8 to 9 players.

Hope those figures can help you out. That's all i've got anyways.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:33 PM

It's too small a sample to say much about flops seen, etc, but you're correct that you'd like your showdown % to be much higher (but again, too small a sample to say much about it).
Old 12-27-2005, 09:35 PM

what is a realistic showdown won % to shoot for? I figure that the number of people in the pot should be factored in as well as people at these tables seem to play pretty loose.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:39 PM

I hit about 65% to 75% most night on showdowns, but that's NL, I would expect limit to be a little lower.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:41 PM

yeah i play NL .10/.25 sorry didn't mention that
Old 12-27-2005, 11:11 PM

It seems that you're running well, playing too many hands for 8-9 handed games, winning too many hands after seeing flops. Expect things to slow down.

And there are many winning players with <50% showdowns won. That's characteristic of a loose-aggressive player
Old 12-28-2005, 10:20 AM

Also, on these 8-9 player low NL tables I find that 4-5 people limp on every hand, how does this effect my range of starting hands to play? Is it more effective to limp as well and rely on post flop play or to tighten up and hit em hard when I'm dealt a strong hand?
Old 12-28-2005, 11:52 AM

Well, on the tables I play, players tend to play fairly loose and on the majority of hands there are 4-5 limpers. How should this effect my starting hands? Should I tighten up and drop a bomb on them when I get some good starting hands or loosen up and limp and beat them with post flop play?