Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software

Old 12-22-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Looking for a whole new setup.

Not exactly sure if this is the right forum, but here goes.

I've had a successful few weeks and I have some extra money that I'd like to use on a brand-spankin new desktop for grinding. I don't know a whole lot about the hardware side, so I was hoping 2+2 could help me out.

Thus, I request all you hardware-savvy people hook me up with the best equipment you can find on the net. A few specifications:

Dual flatscreen monitors (obviously).
512+ RAM.
60+ gigs (easy, I know).
3+ GHZ processor.

I haven't bought a new desktop in a long time, so I don't know what's standard and what's not, but the price range I'm looking for should top out around $2500, but I'd like to not go above $2000 if it could be helped.

Thanks, all.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Looking for a whole new setup.

i dont have much to tell you, but i would not settle for less than 1gb of RAM.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:53 PM

If your company gets a discount with Dell sign up for it at Dell and wait for the coupons that seem to appear every couple of weeks. If not, I have been very happy with my Dell XPS. I am sure you can find easily find something in your price range.

1 G of RAM is the minimum you should settle for.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:53 PM

Yeah, 1 gig of ram then. I just threw that out there. I reaaaally haven't done any computer shopping for at least 5 years.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:09 PM

the thing with ram is if you go for 512k theyll probably give you 2 256k ram sticks, which means u will max out at 1gb if you ever upgrade.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:04 AM

Dont be stingy about your graphics cards and monitors; allocate a large percentage on these items. I have found COMPAQ to be very easy to deal with compared to many other manufacturers; ie Gateway and Dell.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:27 PM

I _highly_ recommend getting a RAID harddrive(s). I forget the versions (there's RAID0 and RAID1, or something.) but you should just do the version for more space. (The other version is for redundancy. On a home machine, this seems silly.)

I have 2 160GB drives, in parallel, for VERY little money. This was almost 2 years ago, too. Two drives means that each packet is split and written on both drives, so read & write speeds are way faster. For database lookups, I found the new harddrives to make a HUGE difference.

I had never done RAID anything before, but with a little research, found it pretty straightforward. Maybe somebody with more experience can correct/clarify/debunk me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
-Sam
Old 12-23-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I _highly_ recommend getting a RAID harddrive(s).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll admit that I didn't do a ton of research, but it looked to me like the benefits of striping were relatively limited. It looked like the biggest advantage was in read/write throughput or bandwidth or whatever you want to call it. I saw in a few places that it didn't really improve your seek times very much, which apparently is more important for PT and similar applications. This may or may not be correct, but I just ended up going with a 320 GB storage drive and a 74GB Raptor boot/program/PT drive. I can't say how it performs because the Raptor was DOA, so I am getting it replaced.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:19 PM

I'd go with two DELL wide screen flat panels, set the reselution up and get 6 tables on each screen for a total of twelve tables at a time, this way you can play multiple tourneys or just watch all your competition in big tourneys. Thats what mine will be when its done.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:14 PM

DELL , imo is the best value for your money. The biggest wide screen LCD monitor, lots of RAM as mentioned by others, and you are off to the races.
Because we use the mouse so much, you may want to look at different types of mouse (at Staples, is a good place, or Future Shop) to find something easy on your wrist over the verry very long term. The wrist is a niggling , long term hard to fix problem when it starts, so why not address it now.