Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-19-2005, 08:20 AM

Default Re: LImping with AK and AQ in early levels

Raising AK/AQ:
1) Thins the field, which you want.
2) Obtains greater preflop value for your hand.
3) Increases your FE on the flop (ie - flop comes T-high, you've missed...but your opponent who calls your raise with 66 is unsure of what to do, and many times folds).
4) Increases the chance of stacking a lesser ace or king (more money in the pot, harder for them to lay down a worse TP).
5) Over the long haul, will increase the number of times you stack someone when you raise with AA-QQ. If you don't raise AK/AQ, SOME people (esp. at higher levels) will start to notice that and won't pay you off on your bigger hands...whereas if you DO raise AK/AQ, some of your bigger donks will call your AA raise with 33 and then push when no AKQ hits the board...a lovely thing when you're holding an overpair. In short, provides deception (granted, this is an ancillary benefit of the raise).

Now...I know that when you raise, get called, miss, c-bet, only to be forced to fold...that sucks. But it's also what the mind remembers most about AK/AQ. You don't remember all the times that you raise and pick up the blinds or get called by one or two people and pick up nice little pots whether you hit or not. Those hands just don't stand out as being nearly as significant in the long run, and I think we easily forget the +tEV value of raising these hands preflop.

Note: I do agree, with AQo and late-middle to late position with 2+ limpers in front of me, I'll limp. But with AK or AQs, I still raise. Also, remember your gap concept and don't call more than min-raises or raises where you've totally been priced in with AQ (esp. offsuit and/or OOP).
Old 12-19-2005, 09:31 AM

The reason I don't raise in early position is the times you get one caller behind me, the flop comes 25J, I continuation bet and he goes all in with 77. This happens way too often.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:24 PM

I generally do this in 1 regularly occuring situation. If there are loose players at the table (which is generally the case at the lower buyin SNGs, 33-, depending on the day and time), and I'm in early position. If in late position, I play AK/AQ straightforward and raise.

If in early position, it'll be too likely I'll get 5 callers and play AK/AQ out of position multiway. Limping is intended to control the pot size the way I want it...since my raise can't make this heads up and I don't like to have to put in 1/4 my stack (800-90preflop raise = 710; 4 callers gives 360 pot, 180=half pot) as a 1/2 pot continuation bet (even when I flop TPTK), and if I check someone is going to always bet no matter what.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:43 PM

I usually raise AK, though I sometimes limp. I always fold AQ. Pokerstars.