Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 02:41 AM

Default Re: Should I finish college? (long)

Ok so you're looking for someone to give you incorrect advice just to validate your lazyness and lack of motivation? Alright, here, i'll give you a bone.

College isnt going anywhere... it will always be there. Poker on the other hand could be outlawed in a year or the games could get much harder... make the money while you can and put away 100k for whenever you plan to go back to college.

Happy?
Old 12-10-2005, 03:51 AM

Grunch:

Yes.

End of thread.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:48 PM

People were quitting college to start up Internet sites 6 years ago, how did that work out?
Old 12-11-2005, 04:25 PM

I haven't read any other responses, but I would say that I might have written this post myself, down to every detail. I dropped out of college to play poker, against some vehement opposition from my family, and I have never regretted it. I haven't being making good money until recently ( I wasn't very good when I started out) but I have been miles happier than I was when I was in school, college, or one of the crappy jobs I had.

I'm very confident about my future also, in poker and in the business ventures that I will get involved in.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:18 PM

whitelime I think you are overestimating your abilities, not as a poker player but as someone who makes sound decisions in life. I'm skeptical that you would be successful in business with the decision making qualities you demonstrate in your OP. good luck with poker and life.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:55 PM

Most have replied to stay in school and finish.

If you can't finish one year of college that you do not have to pay for, ten years from now, I wonder if you'll be able to get the amount of work in the win the 600K you estimate.

If you score in those tournaments, hey congratulations, but that isn't a guarantee. I would keep poker part time until you finish the degree, have the necessary savings account, prepare for your future family life (if you want to have a family).

Someday, you may want to get that "real job" and it's a lot tougher going BACK to school after a long absence than just sticking to it and finishing it up. Prepare for the future.

However, it's your life. If you quit school, and your family is all for it (if you were my son I wouldn't be for it but I wouldn't stand in the way. He would know my thoughts and he would not get any financial assistance without conditions), great. I still think it would be a bad idea to quit school now to play poker full time.

FWIW
Old 12-12-2005, 12:55 AM

Finish school and tell your parents all your poker friends told you to. They'll be impressed and probably be more open to poker after college.

If you quit school now, you WILL regret it, even if you are a wildly succesful poker player for the rest of your life. College is more than classes, it is the relationships you get to have. You won't have those kinds of relationships after college.

A big part of poker is patience. Why can't you develope a little patience for one more year?

That's the best I can do. You're decision dude.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:06 AM

Twenty three years ago I stumbled into a great job in the auto industry.I t paid well, had great benefits, and I could retire after thirty years, when I would be 54.

I dropped out of college to continue my career here, despite the lack of an intellectual challenge because, I reasoned, when I retire (at age 54) I'll be able to do whatever I want, and I'll pursue other goals when I get there, collecting my pension. Not a bad idea then, but the roof's caving in now, as you know if you read the business news.

If my co. goes under now—which is a possiblity—and even if it doesn't, I could be facing a catastrophic loss of income with no marketable skills because I never finished college. Which means now, at age 48, I'm preparing myself to go back to school to get the skills I need to compete in the modern workforce, and hoping I can hang on long enough not to lose my house and everything else I own in the process.

You don't know what the future will bring; and the better you're prepared for it, the more options will be open to you if your plans don't work out. Regardless of the skills you have, some doors will be closed to you without a college degree.

You're a senior with two semesters to go? You're a damned fool if you don't get your degree now.

--klez
Old 12-12-2005, 07:08 AM

Oh, yeah. And the reasons you give for not finishing college?

They're bullsh*t.

Get your f***king degree, then go do what you want.

--klez

PS. Good luck to you.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:39 AM

If you can't finish up school or are too lazy to finish up school with one year remaining because "too much money can be made playing poker" then how do you expect to get yourself together enough to take the time to figure out good investments and/or get a business off the ground, when it's quite likely you would earn more $$/hr playing poker than working on investments that might take ten years to pan-out towards anything.