Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 04:49 AM

Default QQ, strange action

Party Poker 0.50/1.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (17.00 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (13.00 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (16.00 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds.

Final Pot: 18.00 BB.

The turn donk bet by SB really threw me off here. I wasn't about to let this one go, but should I have gotten in another raise or two?

BTW, UTG+1 is clearly a nut, but SB hadn't done anything too strange yet.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:02 AM

Default Re: QQ, strange action

this hand is really odd. I play the same because I'm just baffled.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:23 AM

Yeah, donk on the turn after a 3-bet flop is pretty weird. If donk-boy is really dumb he could have a flush draw or top pair. Could have an over-pair(TT, and JJ fit the action). I think I'd raise turn to see what happens. Hell, I really don't know what these guys could have. My head is spinning. I'd like to see the results later.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:48 AM

I'd probably raise the turn. It doesn't look like you're beat here. A S&amp;G is more often a weak hand, in this case JJ,TT or 9x, a lot more then it's a very strong hand, like 98, 88. Most players would go for the cr with that kind of hand after the flop action.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:56 AM

utg+1 is clearly mentally unhelathy person. i think thats his advantage.

I'd put him on A9 or A4 suited or set of fours. But would he reraise preflop with it?

Please tell me the outcome.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:01 AM

Since I'm pretty much positive that raising the turn would have, in retrospect, been the correct play, I'll go ahead and post results in white.

<font color="white">UTG+1 had AK, no diamond. WTF indeed.</font>
Old 12-15-2005, 06:08 AM

grunch
I'd guess SB was semi-bluffing with a flush draw, probably one with outs to overpair worth to protect. When he missed he could beat only a bluff and decided to fold the river. I think UTG had either a lower PP than yours or AK. The reason for saying is that I would expect him to cap the flop or raise the turn with a higher PP.
Given that I think you should have raised the turn.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:10 AM

I think it would have been better if you had stopped the action when it got to you on the turn.

When determining what SB's donk bet might mean, it's hard not to be influenced by the fact that he checkfolded a river blank.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:16 AM

I find that a turn raise is appropriate for weird spots like this. You are ahead an overwhelming majority of the time. Most ppl will craise there with 2 pr or a set. The stop and go is usually an indication of a draw that just became a bigger draw or nothing that has a reasonable chance of being the best hand if it improves (the AK for instance). My first thought for SB was flopped flush draw and just got openended str8 draw on turn (i.e. JT diamonds) Raise that turn everytime. Discount the guy between you.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:35 AM

*grunch* I hate to overplay pairs but maybe raise the turn? UTG+1 only calls the flop so I think your hand is far superior. What comes to sb he could have TT or JJ. Flush draw is highly possible also given the river action (ofcourse you didn't know this during the hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ). UTG+1 probably has a pair with ace kicker or something similar.