Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 06:38 PM

Default Live Flop decision with Mr. A magnet...

Stakes: $2-$3-$5 Blinds, $500 Max Buy-In
Principal Players:

Ok Young Korean Player [OYKP] (~$500) - He tends to gamble and call a bit too much. He's on the passive side.

"Weird Al" Hairstyled Obese guy [WAHO] (~$3000) - Probably has a VPIP of 50 and is extremely loose postflop. Will call all and any bets with a big draw. He's built his stack through a foundation of lucky flops, suck outs and love. I adore this guy, and he's the main reason I decided to stay an extra couple of hours, especially since he was so fortunate to be must moved to my right...

Garland (~$1000) - Tight aggressive image.

Preflop: OYKP is UTG and opens for $45 ($10 to bring it in), (He's brought it in for $30 before, with what appeared to be big cards in the past, so I read him for any pair), WAHO is next to act and quickly calls the $45, I am next to act with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I ponder for 20 or so seconds and pump it up to $170 straight. The rest of the table quickly folds back to OYKP. He hems and haws, plays with/counts his chips for about 90 seconds and finally says "I'll gamble" and calls. I put him firmly on a pair of TT->QQ, probably towards the lower-end as I suspect he'd just stuff it in with QQ. WAHO calls and says "I'll give you a gamble". God bless his soul. His cards are difficult to read since in the past he's called a raise+reraise to $100 with a hand like K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (and hit!).

Flop ($520): A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

OYKP checks, WAHO checks, Garland ???

Neither of these players have a tendancy to get out of line, but the pot is big, so...

Thought and comments appreciated. Results to follow...

Garland
Old 11-26-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Live Flop decision with Mr. A magnet...

[ QUOTE ]
Neither of these players have a tendancy to get out of line, but the pot is big, so...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you just answered you own question...BET/Fold to raise.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:49 PM

I like betting all in. I would do the same with AK though.

WAHO seems very likely to call with just a pair or a draw and gamble it up.

I don't really like betting and folding to a raise (especially from WAHO) because he could do that with a number of hands, even ones you are ahead of.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:51 PM

With the check, check, it does seem KK is the best hand here.

Going all in though, you're only going to get called by a hand that crushes you.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:09 PM

Obviously you say "If I am a man of God, may fire come down from heaven and consume you and your fifty men"

then go all in, and its not close.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Going all in though, you're only going to get called by a hand that crushes you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's check the reads.

[ QUOTE ]
Ok Young Korean Player [OYKP] (~$500) - He tends to gamble and call a bit too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
"Weird Al" Hairstyled Obese guy [WAHO] (~$3000) - Probably has a VPIP of 50 and is extremely loose postflop. Will call all and any bets with a big draw. He's built his stack through a foundation of lucky flops, suck outs and love.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:53 PM

OK, they gamble, your telling me one of these guys wouldn't check/call all in with a weak Ax suited???
Old 11-26-2005, 09:12 PM

They definitely would call with those hands. But I think you are not "only going to get called by a hand that crushes you." WAHO especially looks like he'll put the money in with a pair or a draw looking to gamble it up.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The rest of the table quickly folds back to OYKP. He hems and haws, plays with/counts his chips for about 90 seconds and finally says "I'll gamble" and calls. I put him firmly on a pair of TT->QQ, probably towards the lower-end as I suspect he'd just stuff it in with QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you think AK is a possibility? You think he'd push with that, or not take so long to call...? Based upon what you wrote, it seems like he could very well be deciding to gamble by trying to flop top pair against what he thinks is QQ/JJ or something. Maybe he has AQ? I'm just not sure what leads you to put him so firmly on a pocket pair.

Even betting as much as half the pot is putting him nearly all-in, but a bet at that size would still leave you some stack left against the other player. If you bet $300, would you be able to read the crazy guy well enough to know whether or not your hand is good? If you check the flop, would their turn actions tell you whether or not they have an ace? If they'd bet the turn with an ace or better, but check without, then your best move might be to risk a free card and see what happens on the turn.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They definitely would call with those hands. But I think you are not "only going to get called by a hand that crushes you." WAHO especially looks like he'll put the money in with a pair or a draw looking to gamble it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

true dat, but I doubt anyone is sitting on a hand like 5d6d with hero making it $170 straight preflop. This is not a draw heavy board and the only draws KK should be worried about is a QdJd or a KdQd but with a stiff bet preflop, AK or AQ is not unlikely as the previous poster states.