Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Overthinking Micro Stakes?

Im wondering about this. Im trying to build my br up so I can play at 400nl... right now Im more suited monetarily to 25 and 50nl. The problem is, it feels like Im overthinking the opponents... and end up losing because of some "smart" play that it seems they dont understand. During the limited times I jumped to 100nl, I fared better. anyone else feel this way? is it hubris? do I ABC it up, or jump?

thoughts.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Overthinking Micro Stakes?

Its a common phase amongst ssnl'ers, I've been through it myself. at the $25/$50 level and possibly higher levels you need to stick to an ABC strategy, making adjustments against paticular styles of play. I'm currently playing mostly ABC at the 100's and its working, there is a lot of donkeys on party.

I'm not really sure where ABC ends and real thinking begins..
Old 09-01-2005, 11:57 AM

Even ABC requires thinking. You still have to adjust your play to the other players. You still have to put people ranges of hand. And I would say even at the higher stakes, 90 percent of the time the decision is a routine "ABC" one.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:05 PM

You always have to adjust, but like you said its to their range of hands / playing style. At the higher limits I imagine a lot more psychological play is involved.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You always have to adjust, but like you said its to their range of hands / playing style. At the higher limits I imagine a lot more psychological play is involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

To a degree Im sure.Not having played at higher stakes, my suspicion is that this factor is overrated unless you are in a game with someone you have played with a lot.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:09 PM

Agree with everyone else, fancy play is usually not what's needed.

And don't fall into the trap of thinking you'll do better against better players. You won't. Learn to beat up on the bad players first.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:10 PM

I regularly go up and down from $25 to $100 tables on either Stars or Party. Though ABC works for most, there's definitely less trickiness the lower the table. At a $25 table, there's almost no bluffing because someone will call you with bottom pair. So, just value bet.

At the $25 tables... just play your cards.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:20 PM

You probably suffer from FPS.

[ QUOTE ]
do I ABC it up, or jump?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can't beat the extremely bad opponents at 25NL, do you really think moving to 200NL or higher is a good idea?
Old 09-01-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And don't fall into the trap of thinking you'll do better against better players. You won't. Learn to beat up on the bad players first.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with that. Playing against a bunch of so-so ABC players can be easier then playing at a table full of unpredictable fish. If the players are a little better, your ability to read players hands increases. And if they think a little (1st and 2nd level thinking) you can now make calculated bluffs.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with that. Playing against a bunch of so-so ABC players can be easier then playing at a table full of unpredictable fish. If the players are a little better, your ability to read players hands increases. And if they think a little (1st and 2nd level thinking) you can now make calculated bluffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing against good players is easier than playing against bad players eh?

Poker must be the exception to the rule when it comes to the genre of games.