Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-22-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Top 6 in the NFL?

[/ QUOTE ] I don't understand the love for the Giants. Has anyone watched their games? Eli while putting up decent numbers has been inacurate and the defense has been susspect except for two good games.

[/ QUOTE ]

The defense has been suspect? Huh? They shutout the Redskins, didn't allow a TD or more than 150 yards for 3+ staight games and they are suspect? They've only had 1 bad game defensively and that was against the Chargers in SD. I can understand criticizing Eli, he has been inconsistant but the defense has been solid.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Bears
2-6 some punks who are gonna lose to the Bears.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good answer sir.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The defense has been suspect? Huh? They shutout the Redskins, didn't allow a TD or more than 150 yards for 3+ staight games and they are suspect? They've only had 1 bad game defensively and that was against the Chargers in SD. I can understand criticizing Eli, he has been inconsistant but the defense has been solid.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh sir
Old 11-22-2005, 03:31 PM

My list:

1. Indianapolis
2. Denver

The 3-6 spots could be made up of any from a list of about 8 teams. You could make a valid argument for any of them and not really be wrong. See my NFL Team Rankings thread for details on how close the other teams are.

Those teams consist of:

NY Giants
Dallas
San Diego
Chicago
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Jacksonville
Seattle

Carolina falls just off the list.

On a side note, one of the following teams will not make the playoffs. Which will it be?

San Diego
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Denver
Jacksonville

Either SD or Den wins their division. The other tries for wildcard.
Either Pitt or Cin wins their division. The other tries for wildcard.
Jacksonville will not win their division and will be in the wildcard hunt. They have the easiest remaining schedule.

Interesting to think about since most of you have these teams rated in the top 6 yet one wont make it.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:46 PM

They are 23rd in the NFL in yards allowed. 26th against the pass. They had good games against Washington (which was impressive), a struggling Minnesota offense that looked bad last night against the Packers defense, who me and 10 of my friends could put up good numbers against. They also had a big game vs. San Fran. Which does not count.

Besides those three games they are allowing 410 yards a game. They are allowing 22 PPG in those 7 games as well.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:11 PM

This is because their ST has been so good (aside from the minny game) and they've been pinning their opponents deep and giving them lots of posessions.

The Giants are an above average defense.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is because their ST has been so good (aside from the minny game) and they've been pinning their opponents deep and giving them lots of posessions.

The Giants are an above average defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the Giants are above average, its barely. Like a lot of teams, they have a few stregnths that cover their bigger weaknesses. They're weakest in the secondary. If Strahan and Usi don't get a good deal of pressure on the QB, the Giants are in a hell of a lot of trouble.

Luckily, both Strahan and Usi have been playing really good football.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:55 PM

I'm with you on both of those points.
The Giants have played a super soft schedule that includes about 14 home games, their D has played way over their heads, and Eli isn't very accurate.
The Cowboys aren't good offensively, and it's only a matter of time before Bledsoe kills them.
I actually thought - and still think - that the Redskins are the most balanced team in that division. They've played a lot of tough road games (including 3 out of 4 division games away), they've somehow managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory vs. KC & Tampa, and their turnover ratio is horrible. It's getting a lot harder to prop them up after an inexcusable choke vs. Oakland at home, so I am forced to rank Dallas as the 2nd best NFC team behind Carolina - although you could certainly make an argument for the Bears as well.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Besides those three games they are allowing 410 yards a game. They are allowing 22 PPG in those 7 games as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you take out the San Diego game they are giving up 15 PPG and 310 YPG. I agree that they are not a top 6 team, and barely a top 10 team, but their defense is definetly above average.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The Giants are an above average fantasy defense.

[/ QUOTE ]
fyp

In the real world they get good pressure they have a poor secondary and do a pretty good job against the run.

I'm not sure what more than 20 points per game says about their ST, but I don't know what other gage to go on. If they are giving up a ton of yards and a middle of the pack amount of points per game except for a series of three games against two really bad offenses and another that just didn't show up. Find me a stat that says they are an above average defense. I've watched all of their games, there are very few teams that don't move the ball freely against them.

They have played three road games in the first 10 of this year and one was against the 49ers. They will be exposed the rest of the season.