Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 02:29 PM

Default I don\'t care if you scare me (2/3/5/10 hand)

2/3/5 10 to open $500 max buy-in.

The game is very tough and I should leave but I'm stubborn and want to beat it anyway.

UTG+1 (250) tricky gambling regular. Likes to sit short and push a lot.
UTG+2 (900) very good player, makes mistakes though. Slow plays too much.
CO (Me, 550) my image is probably nothing remarkable. Been at the table for an hour, raising a variety of hands pf.
SB (650) is unknown to me, but has been showing the nuts an aweful lot in the last hour I've been sitting.

UTG+1 limps
UTG+2 limps
I raise to $35 (standard) with 55
SB calls
UTG+1 calls
UTG+2 calls

Flop
5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG+1 leads for $45
UTG+2 calls.
And I...
Old 11-18-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Re: I don\'t care if you scare me (2/3/5/10 hand)

What are you trying to accomplish with that PF raise? Nobody is folding for $25 more. Just trying to sweeten the pot?

The board is super draw heavy he made a very weak lead into you.

A pot raise would be to ~$300, which leaves you in a weird spot if you get called and an ugly card hits on the turn.

I would just move in here, and represent a big draw.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are you trying to accomplish with that PF raise? Nobody is folding for $25 more. Just trying to sweeten the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

I often gentle raise small pp's and drawing hands in position with limpers for this reason.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:18 PM

Stick your money in there, whether with a big raise or a push, but I favor push because any big raise commits you anyways. More importantly what is your standard play when you raise your small PPs and suited connectors, get 3-4 callers and miss? Not sure if this is +EV strategy with a $500 stack.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I often gentle raise small pp's and drawing hands in position with limpers for this reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, you might want to think some more about that.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
More importantly what is your standard play when you raise your small PPs and suited connectors, get 3-4 callers and miss? Not sure if this is +EV strategy with a $500 stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do it more often w/pp's, more occasionally with hands like J9s (but thats more to mix it up and usually when I'm deeper). If I miss my set I'll usually surrender unless the board is very friendly.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
More importantly what is your standard play when you raise your small PPs and suited connectors, get 3-4 callers and miss? Not sure if this is +EV strategy with a $500 stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do it more often w/pp's, more occasionally with hands like J9s (but thats more to mix it up and usually when I'm deeper). If I miss my set I'll usually surrender unless the board is very friendly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stacks are too small for this to be a good play IMO.

Raise the flop here. Either raise enough so you're committed ($300), or push.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you expound please?

The way I look at it, if I had limped this hand, there would have been $40 in the pot and I would have bottom set with nothing in the pot. They would have better implied odds to draw against me, and I wouldn't get as much from TP or overpair hands. I don't really see the disadvantage of this move.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:03 PM

Don't even worry about the stack size part - The main point is that if you "gentle raise" with small PPs and connectors, and I'm sitting behind you, it will take me like 3 orbits to figure this out, and I will start reraising your "gentle raises" every time and taking your money. If you're doing this w AA and KK as well then it's not AS bad, but you made no intimation that was the case.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you expound please?

The way I look at it, if I had limped this hand, there would have been $40 in the pot and I would have bottom set with nothing in the pot. They would have better implied odds to draw against me, and I wouldn't get as much from TP or overpair hands. I don't really see the disadvantage of this move.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 6.5 times out of 7.5 where you don't flop a set.

It wouldn't be a problem except that you said you play very passively when these hands miss. If you play them aggressively with position, that's fine. If you limp them a lot, that's fine too.

If you raise a lot pf then go limp, that's real weak play and your opponents will take advantage of it by calling your raises then taking it away from you when you miss and folding when you hit; they can't make mistakes if you play passively like this.