Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: My typical day

[ QUOTE ]
If I said I put kid in daycare for a job, no problem. Playing poker, oh my god. Even ppl on this board feel this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't feel that way...putting this child in daycare full time and letting him be raised by strangers is borderline child abuse, IMO, regardless of the job. I know "everyone" does it. "Everyone" is wrong.

If you were a single mom or something, ok. But your husband has a college education, you could live fine on what he makes. If you say you can't I say BS. You simply choose lifestyle over staying home and raising your kid, as most people do, which is wrong.

Maybe you can't live in the same size house and drive the same cars and maybe you'd have to cook at home and go out to eat less, etc. but it can be done.

You will never get this time back with your son. He needs his mother. There are plenty of ways he can get to play with other kids without being in full time daycare, that is a pathetic cop-out.

My wife never worked a day from the time she got pregnant until my son started 1st grade. But she's never at work while he's home. And no I didn't make great money at the time. We made a decision to cut our lifestyle and live on one income.

I would work 3 jobs if I had to to keep him out of daycare.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is my whole point, playing poker is not like having a job. If I said I put kid in daycare for a job, no problem. Playing poker, oh my god. Even ppl on this board feel this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, its your life, do it how you want. I don't think that playing poker all day is a waste of your life, but you asked for opinions and I think it stinks that you drop your kid off at day care so you can play poker. See my other post for more on this, but one of the great things about on-line poker is that the game is ALWAYS there. Hang out with your kid during the day, play poker at night. Your husband can deal with limited time together for a cuple years until Jr. is in school, but these first few years are so huge in your kids development that if you CAN its better to spend the time with the kid.

There are plenty of people that would KILL to be able to stay home with their kid but can't. If you are a winning poker player and can make enough to bridge the gap then do it at night.

Again, its your choice. But don't ask for opinions if you don't really want them.

FishNChips

[/ QUOTE ]

In what way does it stink. I think it is healthy for a child to interact with other children instead of being home with their mother all the day. There are other benefits besides developing social skills, such as strengthening the immune system.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Back home 10:30am and start playing 5/10-10/20. Stop playing around 3:30. Have lunch. Doing housing work...
Pickup kid around 5:30. After 9:00pm play some more poker till 12:00. Sometimes no poker at night.

Good thing is I only "work" 4 - 5 hours a day.

Am I wasting my life here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds more like you wasted time while in math classes.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is healthy for a child to interact with other children instead of being home with their mother all the day. There are other benefits besides developing social skills, such as strengthening the immune system.

[/ QUOTE ]

So take the kid to the park. Take him to play dates with other kids in the neighborhood. Take him to a Mother's Day Out program for 2 hours 2 or 3 times a week.

There are other choices in between full time daycare and total seclusion, geez.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it is healthy for a child to interact with other children instead of being home with their mother all the day. There are other benefits besides developing social skills, such as strengthening the immune system.

[/ QUOTE ]

So take the kid to the park. Take him to play dates with other kids in the neighborhood. Take him to a Mother's Day Out program for 2 hours 2 or 3 times a week.

There are other choices in between full time daycare and total seclusion, geez.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. And she has chosen an option that works for her. But young men(?) on this forum can't accept it but tries to twist it into a moral argument that is as modern as the Gutenberg way of printing books.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:37 AM

i was going to read through the whole thread but was disgusted with all the absurd remarks about daycare. It is POSITIVE for children to be put in social environments away from home at an early age. Read some parenting books, take some child psychology classes. Any parent that keeps their kid at home when they can easily put them in a good day care a few hours a day/week is doing their child a diservice. I'm sure some people have already addressed this, but I still noticed the same kind of posts on the last page of this thread.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes. And she has chosen an option that works for her.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, works great for her. For the kid, not so much.

[ QUOTE ]

But young men(?) on this forum can't accept it but tries to twist it into a moral argument that is as modern as the Gutenberg way of printing books.

[/ QUOTE ]

If thinking a baby is better off with his mother than in day care makes me less than modern, I'd rather hang out with Gutenberg, thanks. I'm going out on a limb and guessing you don't have a child.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is POSITIVE for children to be put in social environments away from home at an early age. Read some parenting books

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it is, for 4 or 5 hours a week. Not 30 or 40 or 50. Which parenting books recommend full time daycare over a stay at home parent? That's right, none.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Yep, works great for her. For the kid, not so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know zilch about her and her child, yet you seem to think you can judge her. Quite arrogant. Most research point towards daycare being positive for the development of children. But hey, whats science against moral condemnation. I guess putting the scarlet letter on others brings you more joy than entering the 20th century mentally.

[ QUOTE ]
If thinking a baby is better off with his mother than in day care makes me less than modern, I'd rather hang out with Gutenberg, thanks. I'm going out on a limb and guessing you don't have a child.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going out on a limb and guessing that you are american. Because that is the only country that where someone would be branded a bad mother for using daycare.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:58 AM

I'll say it again. 4 or 5 hours a week of interaction with other kids away form home is GREAT. NECESSARY. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. I never said it wasn't. All daycare is not bad. Read that again. I agree with you there.

But that's not what happens. They're there ALL DAY. EVERY DAY. 40 hours a week. Sometimes more. And it's not so they learn social skills and build their immune system. Those are rationalizations.

They are there so their parents can work more and afford
better cars and a nicer house.

Yes there are single parents, etc. that have no choice. Families with 2 young healthy educated parents can live on 1 income if they choose to. That's who I'm talking about.