Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Odd line against a fairly aggressive opponent.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
fold to a river raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you really lay down the third nuts against an aggressive player for 1 bet on the river? No way in hell I fold to a raise -- in fact, I *want* him to raise with likely a worse hand. I wouldn't 3-bet, obviously, but I'm calling this every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

[/ QUOTE ]

probably not, just wanted to pick entity's brain on that one, cause its a interesting line
Old 08-12-2005, 02:04 AM

I like it
Old 08-12-2005, 03:28 AM

If he 3-bets my CR I'm not happy about that but I'm going to call him down.
1)It's five handed and you've got the third nut flush. There's two cards in the deck that beat you.
2)Your image is LAG. If he's smart enough to figure that out he might be three betting for value, if he hasn't noticed that he's likely to bet a lower heart for value because he doesn't know any better.
3)You were in the BB in an unraised pot. Which means that you could literally be holding any two. He's got to drop his range of possible hearts you might be holding.
4)Put yourself in his shoes, what are you three betting a lag with? If you flopped a set are you letting it go?
If he three bets my guess is that you're beat, but I think it's worth the call down. With that being said I think the times you CR the turn and he folds, or calls/calls will outweigh when he 3-bets and beats you.

Is he calling a CR and then a river bet with a 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]? I doubt it, but he's probaly not calling your call, river bet with a 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] either.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:38 AM

Checking the turn is by far the best play, why?

1) If he doesn't have a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] he will just fold.
2) If he has us beat, he will raise and we lose more.
3) He is drawing thin/dead if we have the best hand, and we are drawing dead if we have the worst hand.

So unless the villian has a set (not likely IMO), we don't have to worry about giving a free card here. Give him some rope to hang himself if he doesn't have a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. This is classic WA/WB. If our hand is good now, it will be good at showdown. If it isn't good now, it will lose at showdown.

Now if Entity held the nuts here, he would surely bet again with the hopes that either a worse hands calls down or raises. When you don't have the nuts, you should "slowplay" to avoid folding out a hand that is drawing dead and getting raised by a hand that has you in the vice.

For more on this, take a look at Mason's column in the July edition of the Internet Magazine.

Brad
Old 08-12-2005, 03:56 AM

edit: just read Shillx's post.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Checking the turn is by far the best play, why?

1) If he doesn't have a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] he will just fold.
2) If he has us beat, he will raise and we lose more.
3) He is drawing thin/dead if we have the best hand, and we are drawing dead if we have the worst hand.

So unless the villian has a set (not likely IMO), we don't have to worry about giving a free card here. Give him some rope to hang himself if he doesn't have a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. This is classic WA/WB. If our hand is good now, it will be good at showdown. If it isn't good now, it will lose at showdown.

Now if Entity held the nuts here, he would surely bet again with the hopes that either a worse hands calls down or raises. When you don't have the nuts, you should "slowplay" to avoid folding out a hand that is drawing dead and getting raised by a hand that has you in the vice.

For more on this, take a look at Mason's column in the July edition of the Internet Magazine.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post. I'll have to read Mason's article as I haven't seen this talked about too much, but you nailed my thinking pretty well.

Rob
Old 08-12-2005, 10:22 AM

Rob,

I think this hand was played expertly. Thanks for the idea. My tendancy on this type of hand would probably have been to bet the turn and fold to a raise, but it is quite clear this is a much better way to play the hand.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:50 PM

I bet the turn entirely too much here. Thanks for the great post shillix..nh